Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cicadas Brood XIV to emerge in late May

Posted by rootdiggernc Z-7A NC (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 15:27

There's a chance that the drought may have reduced their numbers. I never realize that these things are hard on young fruit trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cicadas to emerge

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cicadas Brood XIV to emerge in late May

Unless NC was having a drought back then I doubt this years drought will affect them. We've had enough rain to keep most things on schedule and growing.

I kinda like cicadas. the whole mass emergence thing is such a weird thing for an insect to do, so sinchronized, so rehearsed, so organized, from something that doesn't really have a brain.

I drove through them the last time they were going yaya over in the mountains (on one of my frequent cross country drives). It would be nice to see them closer to home.

One of my favorite Mexican folksongs has human singers mimicing the cicada call in the chorus of a love song - lots of loooooong high notes:

Porque la vida se acaba
Y quiero morir cantando
Como muere la cigarra.

La Cigarra (The Cicada)

o

That recommendation to delay planting fruit trees for a year was something valuable.

o

Wow, long life for a bug!

Here is a link that might be useful: cicadas

o

I see that the predicted area affected this year is the part of NC west of the Triad.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCSU cicada info

o

O.K. I have a question. It mentions as far south as NC and TENN. What makes it stop there? It is a temperature thing or can people in upstate SC expect some cicada activity?

o

As I understand it - cicadas pretty much stay put. The young (a grub) lives underground and pretty much stays near where it hatched from eggs layed by the mother. So scientist can monitor the grub population by digging them up and determine where the boundaries are. I suppose the range can shrink and swell depending on the food supply but for the most part they know where all of the different populations live.

There are cicadas that live pretty much everywhere and there are many different species so we will have cicadas this summer just like other summers but here in Raleigh I don't think what we will experience is the periodical cicadas that they are talking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here