Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doxiedr

Pink Lady Apples

mbuckmaster
15 years ago

Does anyone grow Pink Lady apples? Even the store-bought apples are delicious, so I imagine one of the tree would be heavenly. I already have a Bevan's Favorite and a Granny Smith to pollinate. Also, it seems they store really well even for amateurs--which I certainly am--so that's good too.

My concern is that from my internet reading, it seems Pink Lady grows well here, but is susceptible to fire blight. I've already had some issues with this, and don't want to shoot myself in the foot by bringing more of it into the garden. What are your experiences with this tree?

Comments (8)

• longandrink
    15 years ago

Seconded. I adore pink ladies, and when we started selling pink lady juice at the sandwich shop where I work (red bike delivery in the grove arcade), all of my paycheck started to go to the astoundingly lovely pink lady juice.

Does anyone know where would one acquire pink lady trees?

• nancyofnc
    15 years ago

Stark Bros. Nursery. I have been happy with other fruit trees from them. Peaches, Cherry, and Japanese Pear. My apples (not pink lady) did not fare well since my kittens preferred them to the thousands of native hardwoods surrounding us and they have very sharp claws. I couldn't keep them out of the trees long enough to spray horticultural oil on them so the bugs won the last two years. Now that they are cats, they don't climb as much and if they do, they perch in the tallest American Beech overlooking the stream.

Nancy the nancedar

Here is a link that might be useful: Stark Bros Nursery

• thomis
    15 years ago

mbuckmaster:

I have heard they are hard to grow but so are many of the other trees I have recently planted. I think you should go for it. Trees are cheap and life is short. You may have great results.

As for the fireblight, checking the trees every day and staying on top of sanitation, you should be able to intervene if you see early signs. You can search the fruits and orchards forum on here for fireblight and find a lot of info.

Have you talked with your local ag extension agent? I'm attaching contact info for you.

I just planted a Bevan's favorite this past fall. Have you gotten any apples yet off yours? You like them?

Here is a link that might be useful: NC ag agents listed by county

• mbuckmaster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm getting the apple tree from Century Orchards, in Reidsville. It's only 30 minutes north of me, and Mr. Vernon was very helpful and friendly on the phone. They have a wide selection, including many heirlooms. He agreed that the Pink Lady is supposed to have issues with fire blight, although he said that the trees in his orchard have not had any problems with it.

I have no kittens, although I do have much larger and annoying fuzzy visitors: deer. They ate some new growth off the Granny Smith last year, and a few apples off my ill-fated Fuji that blew over in a summer storm. Camellias, roses, and even columbine have also felt their chomp. I have begun deer repelling in earnest...what a pain in the neck they are! I am nearly ashamed--but not quite--to say that I am thankful for hunters now.

My Bevan's was only just planted in the fall, so no apples yet! I will spray regularly with copper sulfate, which I believe will control fire blight as well as other apple issues, correct?

• thomis
    15 years ago

mbuckmaster,

Good choice on the nursery. I hvae gotten nearly all of my trees from Century Farms..

And don't even get me started on deer! I had to erect an 8 foot fence around my orchard to keep the deer out. $$$$

They still managed to try and squeeze through the boards. Exclusion is the only real way to keep them off your plants/trees. I figured one way to help justify spending the money on the fence was to fill my freezer with venison. And thats just what I did.

You should visit the fruits and orchards forums for spraying questions. I have learned a lot from the forum. I am spraying my first round next week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruits forum

• mbuckmaster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Picked up the Pink Lady today...a first class operation at Century Farms. Looking forward to the fun of upkeep with the apples!

• wtdanate
    15 years ago

Was just reading the posts above as I am a HUGE fan of Pink Lady's, I live in the Nashville, TN area and would love to secure my own tree as well. Just curious, what methods have you used to prevent fire blight? Would love to know any tips on that.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: What To Do About PINK LADY

• thomis
    15 years ago

fireblight is a force to be reckoned with. but don't let it stop you from growing a pink lady tree. instead of buying one on semi-dwarf, buy three on dwarf rootstock and spread them out to decrease fireblight. if you are determined to be vigilant and check your trees daily, you can stay on top of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: dealing with fireblight