Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding 50# Corn Meal in Triad

Posted by ymatlosz 7a (kats76208@mypacks.net) on
Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 15:52

Hello All,

I recently read about adding corn meal to the lawn, but have not been able to find 50 pound bags of the stuff anywhere in Greensboro. Not even Southern States.

Does anyone know of a source near High Point/Greensboro/Winston-Salem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding 50# Corn Meal in Triad

I thought it was corn gluten that was added to lawns to curb weeds.

o

My understanding is that corn meal is a good fertilizer and also helps with fungal control and soil conditioning. Corn gluten is mainly used for weed prevention,

o

Your question surprised me! When I visit the Greensboro area my first stop (after calling ahead to place an order for 50# of cornmeal which they fresh grind) is at the Old Mill of Guilford where everything is stone ground. Next door to you. Wonderful place to visit. Do a search to generally find the history and price list of their products.

o

LOL - yes that is just right up the road from me. I've been there a few times in the past, but thought they only did small bags.

Thanks so much - I'm going to call today!

o

They were *really* expensive ... $1.10 per pound. I found a place that sells soybean meal for $12.59 per 50 pounds and might try that instead.

o

Is Wake Forrest close enough? Try thegrainmillwf dot com. They have 50# bags for around $22.

o

We get up there occasionally and I'll definitely plan to stop by the next time we're in that area. Thanks so much!

o

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't corn meal just attract every bug and rodent in the county?

o

You can find out about using grains on your lawn on the Organic Lawn Care forum. I use it all of the time now instead of synthetic fertilizer and have had great success. Although grains have varying amounts of Nitrogen (not as much as synthetic ferts) what you are really doing is applying grains to the soil for the protein in them. The protein is food for the microherd living in the soil. A healthy fed microherd in your soil then feeds the grass at the right time naturally and takes care of a lot of fungal diseases. Corn meal, cracked corn, alfalfa pellets, Soybean meal, etc. are all good. Just use the cheapest. You do not need to buy the expensive "Organic" products, which contain the same thing that you can get much cheaper in 50 lb bags at farmer exchanges, feed stores, Southern States, etc. Just google and call a few places. It is good for the soil in your garden too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here