Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cltroses

No Trim Landscape plants needed

cltroses
13 years ago

Hi. I love in Charlotte, NC (zone 7b). When I built my house, I used a landscape designer for a yard. I knew what roses I wanted, but took his advice on the other plants. Unfortunately, everything he recommended has become huge, and all I do is trim back "shrubs". Plants he said would stay small like Rosecreek Abelia are huge, and by the time I trim everything back it looks like squares and circles. Other plants I have that I want to get rid of are Viburnum Tinus Compacta (Spring bouquet), tall grasses, and some Boxwoods. All of these shrubs are either along my foundation or fence line. Can anyone recommend some plants that stay fairly small (no more than 3' high at maturity) and do not require annual shearing and trimming? I want a more natural looking landscape and not formal shrubs. Maybe like a Muli Pine or something like that? Any advice is appreciated!

Scott

Comments (4)

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

I know there are Abelias that stay around 2 feet so there might be a few that get a foot taller. My advice would be to check out your local botanic garden and see if they have any bushes the size you want and check to see if they are being pruned (look for cut marks on the stem tips).

You also might consider planting something that gets cut all they way back to the ground each winter - most established bushes can only put on about 4 feet of growth each year. Or consider growing perennials instead of bushes.

• User
    13 years ago

I agree with triangle john.
    I planted Hetz miniature arborvitae down my front drive on one side, they are small, smallest arbs there are, and you don't trim them, they have a pretty nice shape.
    Look them up online for a pic, mature height in 10 years is 3 feet tall.
    Do you really want to get rid of your nice big bushes at the fence line?
    You do realize that if you have neighbors on the other side of that fence you will have no privacy, right?
    For no trimming you can plant perennials and then just cut them back in fall if you would like. Daylillies are great and care free. Grow anywhere. Good Luck.

• cltroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great suggestions. Thanks to both of you...Butterfly, I do have a privacy fence, so I don't mind not having tall shrubs up against it. I have over 50 rose bushes, so really don't have the time or enjoying having to prune landscape shrubs in addition to the roses. Love the dwarf Arborvitae..thanks.

• coorscat
    13 years ago

50 rose bushes! You must post some pics once they are blooming

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH