Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vegetable Gardening Books

Posted by benflower NC7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 14, 09 at 17:05

Hello-- Haven't been on here in a while, but would like to get some recommendations from you on a good vegetable gardening book --- with all the basic info. Looked on the web and found Ed Smith's vegetable gardening "bible",-- Does anyone have this book or can you offer other recommedations? I want to give this to my daughter who is starting her first vegetable garden (small-- backyard type)
thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vegetable Gardening Books

Anything written by Elliot Coleman or his wife Barbara Damrosch. Her book "Garden Primer" is a classic that I read over and over. Some of their advice is tailored for the far north but for the most part it is universal.

o

• Posted by zcat 7b North Raleigh (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 14, 09 at 19:56

I like "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew. He includes information on getting started (sunlight, soil, drainage, location), when and what to plant, basic spacing, vertical planting, some structures to build, watering, pests, extending the harvest, and basic information on vegetables. I like the first edition because it does not focus as much on building his ideal soil mix. I got my copy at a used book store for $3. Your local library probably has a copy.

o

For regional info, Gardening in the South (Vegetables and Fruits)by Don Hastings

o

There are two books that I use for veggie gardening. Both are about companion planting and organic gardening.

# Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening by Louise Riotte

# Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden by Sally Jean Cunningham

You might also want to check out the Ruth Stout method.

o

My veggie bible is "The North Carolina Fruit & Vegetable Book". I have an older edition, the newer one has very few photo's (so who needs to know what broccoli looks like?) but has the same info. Each section is about a specific vegetable or fruit and it gives variety names that do well here and which ones don't. I have found that info to be right on. I have marked it up with companion planting and specific sowing and harvesting dates from other sources relative to where I am exactly so it is pretty tattered. I give this title as a gift to those new to North Carolina gardening.

Nancy the nancedar

o

I have the Guide to North Carolina Vegetable Gardening, also by Walter Reeves. It's very good.

o

Ditto the reccommendation of Don Hastings' book

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here