Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluemoon2_gw

Need help identifying this woodland plant

bluemoon2
13 years ago

Discovered this pretty little thing in a fairly quiet/shady area and would like to move it -- does anyone know what it is or whether it should be moved? Reminds me of caladium.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:558407}}

Comments (5)

• woodsworm
    13 years ago

They are here in our woods, (piedmont NC) and I always thought they were a variety of jack in the pulpit. I have seen them at swaps called 'arum italicum' and have read that they are invasive. I love "mine." They need deep summer shade and die back in the heat of summer here. They have attractive red seeds in late spring, summer, fall. But their best show is from November on through the winter when they are a lovely spot of green. I have not found them at all invasive: quite the contrary. However, this may be an issue of locality.

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Yep, that's Arum italicum. It was very popular years ago because it was one of the few winter growing plants. I think the biggest problem with its invasiveness is that it pops up (from seed) often very far away from the mother plant - so you don't see your plant spreading or causing the problem. Since they are only active during the winter they don't appear that damaging to me.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

I received mine as a houseplant gift and finally dumped it into a shallow hole in the forest near my mulch pile where it has lived quite happily for about 7 years now.
    No bloom,no seeds just this nice patch of deep patterned green in the winter. Deer and bunnies ignore it and it tolerates the occasional flooding.

• Lynda Waldrep
    13 years ago

I consider it invasive, but USDA does not list it yet. It has escaped to the wild in some states. NC is one of them. I have volunteered in a wildflower garden, where we are trying, in vain I must add, to destroy it. The bulblets push down so low that it is hard to dig out. I agree that it is pretty. Unfortunately, I planted some before I found out about its "bad" qualities. I have been working 10 years at my house, trying to eradicate it. Hardy little thing.

If you check on the wildflower forum, you will send the many comments about this plant. Some love it, and many don't.

• Ralph Whisnant
    13 years ago

There are 4 named varieties of Arum italicum at the J C Raulston Arboretum here in Raleigh. I believe that the only difference in them is the amount of the white pattern on the green leaves. The common Arum italicum subspecies italicum is officially listed in 9 separate locations at the arboretum. In addition to its intended locations, there are plants of it spread out in almost all shady areas throughout our 6 plus acres. Because it is prominent during the colder months when much of the garden could use something to brighten up things, I consider it an asset. The maintenance staff may think otherwise, but they usually seem to tolerate it.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting