Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannerbelle

Suggestions requested, also a question or two

nannerbelle
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a a few questions for you all and am looking for some suggestions. It looks like we will be moving again, sometime in the next year and I'm very hesitant to do my annual garden for veggies and continue my landscaping. The potential commercial buyer for my house would be bulldozing it, so I don't want to "waste" my work or put out plants for this fate. So I'm looking to container garden this year so I can take along to my new house if this comes to pass. I have a very large deck and new landscaping beds that were just put in this last fall but not planted yet. My thoughts are to place containers in the new beds so they won't look bare while we are here. Then just load them up and take them with me if/when the move takes place. And of course have some veggies and herbs going on the deck as well. What suggestions do you have for veggies and hummingbird attractors that will do well in containers? I also am looking to pot and transport a lot of plants that I've put in here. I do have some of my banana's already in containers from the winter, and some of my palms as well. I have some citrus that I had on the deck last year and I'll put back out from the greenhouse in the warm months. I have some roses I want to take and Hibiscus also. And I've got a Jack's Giant EE that it would break my heart to leave here. Does anyone know if they will do well in containers? I'm trying to plan ahead as we would most likely be building a new house before we move from here and have no idea what the time of year will be if this happens. Thanks for any advice and ideas you have on this topic.

Comments (7)

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

If it doesn't look like you'll be moving out before mid summer I would go ahead and plant veggies and herbs in the existing beds and harvest everything you can until that fateful day. Everything important I would plant in large pots and either sink them part of the way into the ground (helps with watering) and dig them up and haul them away when its time to move. If you grow a ton of stuff in pots you will be spending all your spare time watering once summer heat sets in - been there, done that. Salvias will do well in pots and they can be kept kinda dry and hummers like them. Nothing in my yard draws in as much wildlife as zinnias.

• coorscat
    13 years ago

Been there, done that. When I moved from Texas to Florida, my Realtor suggested that I take up the big plants and put them in containers and put them back in the ground. He also had the MLS listing mention that potted plants were excluded from the sale. He said that since I was taking some substantial plants with me, the buyer needed to be clear that they were going to be purchasing a home with some substantial landscape changes to what they were viewing (Lord, I took so much in that move!) I totally agree with planting the herbs and veggies and harvesting up until moving day. It is a big pain to keep those pots watered, but it is even a bigger pain to get into a legal wrangle because landscaping is missing. Also, I found out on that particular move that some states are picky about agricultural inspection. I had to have an inspector come out and certify my plants to be pest and disease free before the moving company would put leaf one on their truck. And then, they had to keep copies of the inspection report on the truck until it was unloaded. Hopefully your sell will go quickly and you won't be worried about the summer heat. Good Luck

• nannerbelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks folks, as always good advice!! I think I'm pretty much hammering out my plan for this year with this all in mind. And once I put a timeline on things, I'm going to be here thru the growing season. No matter what I can't build another house that quickly. John, you are always a great source of advice for me, thank you so much once again. Coorscat, hopefully there will be no MLS or Realtor involved. I've already thrown out the realtor, and am dealing with the principal. I'm a "retired" realtor myself. This is a really weird situation. I purchased the land and built the house as my last one. Now here a very few years later, find myself sitting literally on part of a mine. So the mine is my "suitor" so to speak. This isn't a "I want to sell" but a I must sell for my peace and quiet. So I'm trying to make the best of it and get a little further south and closer to the coast with all of this. I'm not planning to leave SC, I love it here, but I'm a little concerned about what you are saying with the moving company. I do plan to have that all done for me as part of the sell and negotiations. Sounds like I need to check some state regulations on this. I just have a lot of time and great plants that I don't want to leave for a buldozer or the mine.

• coorscat
    13 years ago

You should be fine with the movers if you are staying in the same state. My situation was moving to a state that required agricultural inspections for all plants coming in to it...if you stay in SC it should not be an issue. Also, since your buyer isn't going to give a rat's behind that you are taking the landscaping I'd just let things grow on along through the season as is. Good Luck

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

nannerbelle, just a pesky question from another retired Realtor..you do have a fully executed contract for purchase with sizeable consideration or at least a recorded term option agreement?
    Salvage rights?

• nannerbelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not yet Dottie, I'm in the process of negations now and all documents will be reviewed by my attorney prior to any agreement becoming final.

• tiarella
    13 years ago

There are alternatives to EE like Black Magic ect. check the aroids boards for many tropical look suggestions.
    They love water; many can go in a pot within a pot filled with water and dumped out every 3-5 days to avoid misquito eggs. I would consider garden amaryllis; I mixed in caldiums and rain lilies just to keep it interesting. You could also add calibroacea? Tiny petunia type annual flowers for a fuller look. Check the container forum too.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz