Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do about snail eggs?

Posted by amyflora 7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 9, 09 at 17:34

Hi all! I was poking around in the bowl where I have my lotus outside, and on the underside of a dead leaf, I have what appear to be snail eggs. The snails did some damage last year, and I would like to do something about them before they get too much of a foot hold (haha). Any pointers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do about snail eggs?

Buy a duck?

o

Could they be frog eggs? I'd be careful to be sure before killing them.

o

Don't know for sure what snail eggs look like but I do have advice for what to do if you get overrun with snails and slugs this season. There is a product that works wonderfully well, is non-toxic, degrades into the soil, won't stain concrete, and can be purchased at Lowes/ HomeDepot/ -Marts and also on-line. There are two companies that sell this iron phosphate mixed with attractants. The product names are Escar-go and Slugg-o. I have seen other brand names with a similar formula, but the 1% iron phosphate is what does the trick so check the ingredients list.

Nancy the nancedar

o

I researched the difference between frog eggs and snail eggs, and unfortunately, these look like the snail eggs. I wonder if the Escar-go product could be used in water. Seems doubtful. Would love to get a duck, but downtown Sanford just is not the ideal spot for one. :)

o

Amy you've probably got different types of snails in your pond so there probably isn't a one time - one application type of cure. I would turn over as many leaves as you can and scrape off any eggs you find into a jar or bucket and then dispose of them in the compost pile away from the water. I would also go down to the bait shop and get a crayfish or two or better yet a larval salamander. If you can't find a bait shop try Pets Mart, they often get stray crawfish in with their feeder goldfish order and will usually give them away for free (mine does). Mature salamanders or newts love to eat snails but they also want to wander off. You might be able to talk them into sticking around if you have enough snails to keep them well fed. Of course you could then run into a problem where you are buying snails to feed the salamanders you originally bought to solve your snail problem.

o

ummmmm u retard who cares leave them alone when they get older say bye bye 2 them and they will be gone

o

We always used algae eaters fish that scrape the sides of the tank of tropical fish. They are not all that expensive and they wiped out all the snails we accidently got in when we bought live pond plants for the fish tank.
These fish you can replace annually and they clean everywhere. Don't buy catfish. They just brush around the dirt your plant is in.
We liked (sp?)plycostymus for that purpose of getting the snail eggs.

o

If you buy something that won't survive the winter like an algae eater or pleco, you can net it out in the fall and give it to someone who has an aquarium or even resell it back to the place you bought it. They can grow a tremendous amount in one season. Better that than to let it die. they get slower as the water gets colder and are a bit easier to catch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here