Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw2010nc

blueberry & hydrangea

gw2010nc
13 years ago

I was at Lowes and saw the blueberry and hydrangea being sold as bare root. I picked up the peegee hydrangea and the bluecrop blueberry. Both had lots of green leaf buds and a few tiny leaves as well. I have potted them up with Miracle Grow Garden soil for flowers and shrubs - it said it was good was azaleas and rhododendrons. Was that a mistake?

I have kept it in the garage for tonite. Should I leave it outside? Or will the new buds/ little leaves die in the cold?

And was using the MG Garden soil a mistake? That was what I had lying around and so I used it.

Comments (6)

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Years ago when MiracleGrow started selling bags of potting soil in different blends for different types of plants they made the worst stuff. It was just black muck that never dried out and drowned plants (they need air as well as water). Then they changed their recipe and all is well. Expect to read plenty of posts about how rotten they are but I use and it works out fine.

Both the hydrangea and blueberry could be kept outside in pots but I would move them inside some sort of shelter if the weather turns brutal - way below freezing. They should be fine down to the high 20's, but keep them out of the wind.

• gw2010nc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, John.
    After I posted, I did some search and found that blueberries like really acidic soil. According to Dave Wilson, they should be grown in a mix of 1/3 peat, 1/3 bark and 1/3 azalea mix.
    I think I will try that next weekend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Blueberries in containers

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Most of the soil in this area is already acid enough - there's no need to add peat. Blueberries are really acid soil tolerant, they don't require super acid soil to survive. There are blueberry farms that grow the bushes in straight pine bark chips (sold as soil conditioner).

• User
    13 years ago

GW,
    Growing plants in a pot is a totally different procedure than growing them in the ground.
    I think triangle john thinks you are growing them in the ground, which you stated you are not.
    If you wanted to grow them in the ground, that would be a totally different question.
    Potting soil is not what you used to plant them in if you stated in your question you used garden soil.
    THey are 2 totally different mediums.
    Garden soil is meant to be used in the ground for your garden. It is not what you use for a container or pot.
    Potting soil is meant for container use only, so you have to buy Miracle grow potting soil for your plants and change the soil in the pot immediately.
    THe container forum also has a recipe if you would like to try it, which is similar to what you posted.
    If you aren't planting the blueberries in the ground, follow that recipe, it sounds good.
    Good luck to you.
    I have lots of wild blueberry plants where I live, they grow wild. They are delicious!

• jolj
    13 years ago

If you are going to grow blueberries in containers, check with Al in "Containers gardens" here on Garden web. There is very little Al does not know about containers.

• Claire Pickett
    13 years ago

Just a thought. Ordinarily you would use the same acidic fertilizer on blues and hydrangea, but PeeGees are white and do not require the aluminum sulfate products sold picturing both plants on the bag.