Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claire_pickett

Help with Part-sun Perennials

Claire Pickett
13 years ago

I'm promising myself that I will not keep trying perennials that I know are full sun when i know my garden is part sun. I have spent oodles on them over the years.

I grow all kinds of clematis, black eyed susan, garden phlox, yarrow, black and blue salvia and hot lips, knockouts and other disease resistant roses, oenothera(sp?..primrose),lonicera, daylilies and asian lilies ,hydrangea, baptisia, hibiscus, joe pyeweed, peonies, solidago, butterfly bush and some reseeding annuals like forget-me-nots and celosia (gorgeous crimson giants).

These are all reliable in 10 AM - 2-3 PM sun.

What am I missing? What new plants can I invest in without their becoming merely a stick in the ground by the following spring.

Comments (12)

• nancyofnc
    13 years ago

Reseeding heirloom Marigolds and Zinnias.

Nancy the nancedar

• dellare
    13 years ago

Indigoferia blooms for me from April-October in part sun. It has a lovely, tall (6' or so) but see through habit of growth. I don't cut it back. One of the easiest things I grow. I think I have probably tried to sell it to you a couple of times ha.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Toad lillies do well for me in part sun. If your going to any of the plants swaps (Winston-Salem or Raleigh) I would be happy to bring you some. Also, you may want to check in to going to some of the plant swaps. It's a great way to share some of the plants that your already growing and then come away with plants that you would like to try without spending any money. I use to buy all of my plants before I started attending the swaps. Now 90% of my plants come from the swaps and I have some really cool plants.

• torajima
    13 years ago

>These are all reliable in 10 AM - 2-3 PM sun.

Some would consider 4 to 5 hours of direct sun in the hottest part of the day to be "full" sun.

>What am I missing? What new plants can I invest in without their becoming >merely a stick in the ground by the following spring.

Well, if your plants are dying, it's probably not an issue of sun. I grow a lot of supposedly "full sun" plants in part shade, and most actually prefer afternoon shade during our hot, dry summers. When they don't get enough sun, they tend to get tall and lanky, and may stop producing flowers. But they usually survive.

I'm curious, what is your drainage like?

• mallorysc
    13 years ago

columbines do well for me in part sun and self sow. The vulgaris type not the pretty blue ones. platycodons have been reliable for years and years. Campanula takesimana "Elizabeth" blooms non stop late spring until frost: better with dead heading but it will keep blooming on new growth without it. It is a pretty invasive plant..I have penstemon Mystica in afternoon only sun and it has done fine. Hymenocallis has also been happy in part sun situation but it only blooms for a week in June

• Claire Pickett
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nan, it seems all the heirloom zinnia and marigolds seem to say "full sun." Maybe they are billed that way but do well anyway in less.

Adele, I will be down to BB to purchase those tall beauties. Missed you there last week.

I think my drainage is pretty good (raised beds), but I may be guilty of crowding. I have never had any kind of campanula survive. Many salvias don't make it either. Greggiis need a lot of sun, it seems.

I can grow blue platycodon and will try the vulgaris type of columbine. Red Husker penstemon did not survive nor did one that looked like a foxglove.

Thanks for all your help.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

try aquilegia canadensis, too (red & yellow native one). It can handle up to 1/2 day or so of sun and does splendid in the shade too. Reseeds all over and will cross with vulgaris and other species to make some interesting hybrids. The campanula punctata and takesimana are hard to kill. I can't keep many of the others going but those, for me, are borderline invasive. Nice evergreen foliage that looks a bit violet like. I can bring some to the swap if you're coming.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

Try iceplant. I have mine all over the place as edging and filler plants. They tolerate that hot afternoon sun but my morning sun bed is their most comfortable spot in bright light after 11AM with reflected heat from the cement driveway (also in a no-water 'cept rain foundation bed).
    Last year the previous year's Mexican zinnias seed popped up hot orange blooms among the hot fuschia iceplant blooms.
    This year I've interplanted grape hyacinth for blue above fuschia.

• Claire Pickett
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone. I'm going to head down to BB with my list in hand.

BTW, when is the swap?

Claire in Sanford

• tamelask
    13 years ago

the garner swap? It's april 23rd, 2-4 at white deer; the newish park- in the pine shelter. Across the rd from the one we used to have it at, lake benson (i think you came to one there). Hope you can come- it's been far too long! All the details are posted over in exchanges.

• dellare
    13 years ago

Hi Tammy...Claire and I went to that one together if I am remembering correctly. Just got my license and was not too comfortable driving by myself but Claire got us there in one piece. Boy do I miss those swaps. Not even for the plants actually. Talking to people with "plant issues" is what I miss the most and of course our most special and spectacular Triangle John. After just moving here those first two years of swaps, the first with my sister and the second with Claire made me really appreciate how very generous you all are with your knowledge and plant material. Tammy, those hellebore babies you shared with me have been blooming their heads off this spring and that tree fern is so sweet every year. I think of you every time I look at them.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Adele-
    hmmm- tree fern wouldn't have come from me- john's the one with those. Glad the hellebores did well! If yours are blooming you'll have your own supply of seedlings to share soon. I'll be bringing more babes if i can get them dug & potted! They really do light up the early spring garden, don't they? I love that they are tough as nails, too. I also love that i do the same thing with the plants others have given me through the years. I always think of this person or that person who gave certain plants. It's such a nice way to spread the love.

I really wish you could come again, too! Could you ask off this time? I don't come for the plants as much anymore- it's all about the company! Not that i don't come away with amazing stuff every time, but that just isn't the draw for me anymore. I look at it as way to see friends i only see a couple x a year that i dearly love gnoshing & chatting with. You're part of that number, though it's been far too long! Hoping to get down to bb sometime too, but i'm trying really hard to plant some of my ghetto before i do that. Gotta be good, ya know.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting