Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannerbelle

Anyone else starting seeds now?

nannerbelle
15 years ago

I'm getting some of my seeds started in the greenhouse. I started Tomato, a variety of herbs, a few Brussel sprouts for a summer batch, Sweet pepper, and my eggplant as soon as it gets here. Anyone else starting seeds now?? Hopefully I'm not pushing the season too much. :-)

Comments (7)

• homegrownlee
    15 years ago

Yes. In the garden already growing are: Peas, Lettuces, Spinach and Radishes (sown 1st week of Feb).
    Only lost a couple during the 20 degree nights recently, but I did use row covers to protect from frost.
    Just planted some beets this week as well but they haven't germinated yet.

Inside I've started Brocolli, Cauliflower & Cabbage.

All the above are plants that prefer the cool spring weather and will do poorly once it gets too hot.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I sow indoors under lights and I only have one book case tops worth of space to do it in - so I start very early and rotate the trays until it gets warm enough to sow outdoors. Right now I have a mix of lettuce growing. Before that I had arugula and spinach (some of it is outside in the ground the rest is cooling off in the hoophouse). Next up will be garden peas but I don't keep them inside very long. I just soak them and set them up to sprout, then get them in the ground. I will also be sowing some poppies since I never got them sown in the ground. Tomatoes, peppers and eggplants will come later in March or even early April.

I build a temporary greenhouse in the garden each winter out of pvc pipe and plastic sheeting (hoophouse). I only keep it above freezing and basically use it to store large tropicals and potted plants that the squirrels would destroy if I left them out in plain view. I have a ton of seedlings and rooted cuttings potted up in there that were either started inside the house last fall or started last year. Rhubarb roots are sprouting, Delphinium seedlings are filling out, left over onion sets are thriving as are loquat seedlings.

In the ground I have cabbage and collard babies (these will probably bolt as soon as it warms up since they got planted late and never took off); and onions, spinach and arugula.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

I'm sowing indoors under lights for the first time and the peat pellets have been seeded for a couple of weeks now. I already have a few sprouts of my sweet peas coming up, which should be fun to try. And I have all my melons, cucumbers, pole beans, pumpkins, and herbs in there as well. I'm also trying to get a head start on my scarlet runner beans and moonflowers. And I've optimistically started some tomatoes, although I know it's hardly worth it until later. Carrots have been sown in the garden and broccoli's been in there since last fall (lazy me). I've doubled my veggie garden since last summer so I hope to have plenty to fill it up!

• wilson1
    15 years ago

Wow! I thought I was doing well to get a few flower seeds started. You all should have a tour of your gardens to show the rest of us how to do it.

• xoscottox
    15 years ago

lol...My first seeds were planted the first couple of weeks in January (they were suppose to take 3 weeks to germinate, but most were up in less than one week. Mother nature can be funny).

I've been planting more seeds every couple of weeks starting with the low light and cold hardy ones.

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Hubby and I are both wintersowers so yep - we have a ton of seeds started. We are doing a combination of containers outside (mostly perennials and cool weather annuals) and then more tender plants started inside but set out of sunny warm days. Hubby is basically in the veggieside of our ga rdening so I am not sure what and all he has started but I do know that peas are coming up in the garden, carrots, beets, radishes in containers outside and brocolli and cabbage are well on their way.

As for flowers - I have a mix of well over 60 containers going and in various stages of germination or just sitting waiting for warmer days .....

Lynne

• jmwlr
    15 years ago

i have 24 flats of mostly heirloom tomatoes and peppers under lights in my spare room.