Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant Ear Bulbs: When to Plant???

Posted by joraines 7 Upstate SC (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 20:01

My husband bought me two large elephant ear bulbs for Valentine's Day today. When should I plant them in the Upstsate of SC?
Keeping in mind that a few years ago, he planted one black elephant ear on a berm between a creek and the eddy formed by the pipe that goes under our driveway. We never bring them in over the winter; they have multiplied and now cover the berm with large black EE's in the summer where they receive partial shade. Not only do they come up every year having multiplied, some find their way into the creek and come up standing in water though they are not the 'aquatic' variety. However, I am not sure how soon is too soon to plant new ones and I will most likely plant them beside our koi pond where the soil stays pretty moist. Here is a pic of an apricot daylily that blooms among the black EE's.

Daylily Amid Elephant Ears

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant Ear Bulbs: When to Plant???

Joraines,
The rule for the state of Sc is April 15th, tax due day.
No threat of frost after this date.
I LOVE your elephant ears, I think I am planting some this year, but they will have to grow in the woods for shade.
Good to hear they come back here in SC.
I think Lowes usually has the big ones in March, I will have to look for them. (the bulbs look like giant potatoes).
Hope they get big, we will see.
I will plant in the middle of April, with alot of composted manure.

o
RE: Elephant Ear Bulbs: When to Plant???

Thank you for your response. Yes, I was surprised when the elephant ears at the creek came back without heavy mulch as it stays colder down there near the water. You can walk down our drive and feel the temperature difference as you get closer to the creek!
Now what to do with these two bulbs until April. He also bought me glad bulbs and I will have to find a site that stays sunny all the time for them. Probably will plant a few at the pond in the sunnier spots and some up around hte house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here