Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
piedmont area native plant nursery

Posted by jimfnc 7aNC (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 20:20

Looking for a native plant nursery in the triad (Greensboro) area (or plant swap). Want to add stuff for hummingbirds, bees, other birds. Have a mostly shady city lot with tall trees, a small "wild area", and very dense clay soil. Some sunny areas. Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: piedmont area native plant nursery

Most local farmer's markets will have plants. Triad Farmer's Market is great. If you are looking for an actual greenhouse, the best I know in this area is Myer's Greenhouse on Highway 158 between Clemmons and Winston Salem.

o

Most nurseries in this area have some natives, but to get natives at a great price come to our NC Native Plant Society picnic near Greensboro. We have a 10:00 instructional meeting, noonish potluck (bring sides or desserts) followed by an auction of plants. You never know what will be offered, but there are always great plants, and the funds collected go towards scholarships. See details below. You are near the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCNPS Picnic

o

PS: Most of my Greensboro friends and I go to Niche Gardens near Chapel Hill. They are about 95% native and have great selections. You should visit this spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Niche Gardens

o

Just wanted to second ncrescue regarding Niche Gardens. It is Exactly what you appear to be looking for. As I recall, many of their plants are in a woodland setting. While Niche isn't in the Triad, it is at least on the West (and south) side of Chapel Hill.

o

How much do the plants tend to go for at the auction? That sounds like fun! :)

o

It all depends on who brings what, but in the last few years, we have had quite a few of the more common plants, so they are set aside in a $3 or $5 section, honor system and no auction. Sometimes there are $1 plants as well.

The larger plants and those harder to find in the trade can be pricey if people bid against each other. This usually happens when someone brings an unusual Trillium or something that you normally cannot find in the trade around NC.

But, I would say $5 - $10 for many of them. Yes, it is fun, and proceeds go to scholarships for people who study botony, ecology, etc.

o

Thx! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here