Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea Incrediball or Annabelle for NC?

Posted by GreenfingerGene none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 20:38

I am looking to add some new hydrangeas to my garden in a morning sun area. I love the flowers of both Incrediball and Annabelle but which will do better in North Carolina - i am in the Triad.

I am concerned with the Annabelle's possibly collapsing after heavy summer rains but now I am reading in some areas the Incrediball does too. Does anyone have experiences they can share about either in NC to help me decide which to plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea Incrediball or Annabelle for NC?

Annabelle falls over wherever it is grown. It is very top heavy but on dry days it is stunning in full bloom. It does well here.

Incrediball is cute and since the flowers are smaller it doesn't tend to flop. When in full bloom it looks more like a blooming perennial than a hydrangea or bush. In my yard it is only about 2 feet tall. The flower color is very pale pink which kinda disappears in some gardens. Its worth growing but it doesn't have the impact all the other hydrangeas have when in bloom.

o

I love the species since they offer something for pollinators.
Hydrangea arborescens ssp radiata is a beauty, won't flop and provides pollen for bees and other insects.

If you look at Annabelle's flowers, they are almost entirely sterile. Lacecap forms hold up well, are graceful and beautiful and long lasting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea arborescens ssp. radiata

o

Forgive my ignorance but what is the significance of the Annabelles being sterile? Thanks!

o

Sterile flowers don't feed any insects, or attract any to your garden.

I made a mistake in my comments above. I confused Incrediball with Invinceable Spirit. I don't have Incrediball in my garden.

o

Thanks for the explanation.

So, does anyone in NC have Incrediball hydrangeas growing in their garden?

o

Does anyone in the NC Triad know a store or garden shop that is currently selling Hydrangea Annabelle? I have failed with buying hydrangeas online and would really like to purchase some from a store where I can see them first.

Looking to do something like this with my garden:
http://www.houzz.com/projects/67687/DC-Garden

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea Annabelle garden

o

They are both two of my favourites! Hydrangea arborescens is native to the Eastern and Southern USA. They are both cultivars. I have both and they grow very well. The Incrediball flower heads are HUGE! They do fall over or you can stake them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arthur in the Garden!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here