Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rose planting time?

Posted by minuet z7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 08 at 20:57

I've done a search, but no luck. When's the best time to plant a rambling rose here? I'm southeast of Raleigh.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rose planting time?

I wouldn't hestitate to plant it now.

o

• Posted by ashef coastal NC z8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 16, 08 at 14:04

This is a good time, just be sure to dig a really big hole and put compost or black kow manure in it.

o

• Posted by jody 7b - NC (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 17:38

Probably okay where you are. I tend to wait -- depending on the rose.

Is it greenhouse grown??? If so, either protect it until the danger of last freeze has passed, or begin to harden it so you can plant it in a week or two.

If its always been outside, then put it in the ground. Just keep an eye on it if you have a late freeze, as they are notorious for killing the new foliage and starting cankers.

o

• Posted by zcat 7b North Raleigh (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 21, 08 at 7:27

I agree with Jody. If its a bareroot rose, you can plant it now. In fact I plant my little band size roses this time of year, and mulch them well, and they live. Roses really are tough plants.

I included a link from Witherspoon's Rose in Durham on planting instructions. I have followed their advice and had good luck with roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Witherspoon rose planting advice

o

You can plant a rose any time of year, like any woody plant.

o

Although Jody is of course right about hardening if off. But either way, dormant or evergreen, once the rose is hardened off it should be OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here