Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vermiculite in the Piedmont?

Posted by jamoswife Greensboro NC (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 08 at 22:12

Does anyone know where to get vermiculite in the Piedmont area? I looked at the Lowes and the Home Depot and they didn't have it in the big bags. I have learned so much from you guys!! Thanks so very much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vermiculite in the Piedmont?

Southern States has big bags for @20 bucks. Ask for horticultural vermiculite to use in containers and sq. ft. raised beds. For seed starting you need the finer sized vermiculite that they only sell in small bags. Try Wal-mart or Ace Hardware stores for that size.

Nancy the nancedar

o

Try a swimming pool installer......Thy use it when installing in- the- ground- pools.

o

Be careful to only buy the Horticultural grade vermiculite. The type used for insulation and for mixing with concrete may not be the expanded type. Vermiculite is mined and processed in Enoree, SC, a small town southeast of Spartanburg. They make both types there. The expanded type used in potting soils is expanded using steam sort of like popping popcorn. When we lived nearby, I could buy the large bags for $6.

o

I have seen big bags at hydroponic stores.

seahorse

o

Thank you very much! 6.00 a bag sounds fantastic! I will try the different store you guys recommened. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here