Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shazaam01

Raspberries in NC

Ernie
13 years ago

This is a cross-post of sorts from the Fruit & Orchards forum. I'm looking for suggestions about raspberry varieties that might be suitable for growing in the NC Piedmont, just north of Charlotte (other than Heritage, which I'm already growing with modest success). Anyone had luck with Caroline? That would be my first choice. I'm also looking at Jewel, Royalty, and Nova. Anyone had success with these (or other) varieties?

Comments (9)

• reeldoc
    13 years ago

I planted 6 more Heritage yesterday in front yard. Planted 6 last year in back yard but they are in too much shade, still provided enough to snack on.
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag569.html

• Ernie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My heritage plants are in too much shade, as well, so production isn't great. Still, they're nice to have.

The NCSU article makes for interesting reading, but the recommendations for Piedmont growers is actually what we led me to my initial post...Mandarin is impossible to find (I assume that's because it's only been recently rediscovered), Dormanred doesn't appear to have the true raspberry flavor that I'm looking for, and Southland hasn't grabbed me, either. Nonetheless, it's a good resource.

• patskywriter
    13 years ago

i sure wish i could remember what type of raspberries i planted in my yard a few years ago. they're golden raspberries -- the berries are supersweet and the plants spread nicely.

• Ernie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's really interesting! Everything I've read has suggested that golden varieties are fussy and don't handle heat well at all. Do they produce a good-sized crop? What kind of sun exposure do they get and where are you growing them (raised bed, in native soil, etc.)? Thanks!

• tamelask
    13 years ago

I'm curious about the goldens, too- since that was what i'd heard!

I grow a black variety but it's been so long since i planted it that i'm not sure if it was jewel or bristol. Whichever it is, it does great for us. Tip roots to make a nice patch fairly fast. I've grown the purple one- royalty- and while the berries taste amazing, it wasn't really vigorous for me. It's in a raised bed, though and the fact that i don't give it much supplemental water probably doesn't help. It runs underground like reds. Also, another cross is loganberry- it grows a thornless 8' vine that produces long berries that when red taste like red rasps and when dark taste like a cross between reds and blackberries (which it is). I've always had it in a container, b/c it's a pacific NW variety and i figured it needed the extra drainage & cold. It's done pretty well- i should root some and plant it in back and see how it does. It doesn't seem to spread rampantly in the container underground, but easily tip roots. Doesn't set tons of fruit but what it does tastes great.

For reds, you can get caroline and some other varieties thru edible landscaping up in VA- they also have wineberries if you have shade. They truly fruit fairly well in shade, but are very finely thorny and do spread easily, both via tip root and some underground running, so beware. They are similar to regular reds but have their own distinct taste and are smaller. You're right- mandarin is impossible to find- though i knew of a pick your own farm about 10 yrs ago, (that doesn't do pick your own anymore- they went to all supplying markets & shops much to my chagrin), that used to have mandarins, among other types. If i'd known how well adapted they are for our clime, and hard they were to find, i'd have begged some starts off them. I have no idea if they still have them. we love reds and i'm still trying to find some good ones for our area.

• patskywriter
    13 years ago

i don't think that the golden raspberries are fussy at all. i'm growing them in a raised bed in full sun. the 'dirt' in my yard is horrible, so i created raised beds with cinder blocks (i use a combination of commercial top soil, commercial compost, and homemade compost). the only 'problem' with goldens is that they don't hold their shape very well when you pick 'em. they don't stay whole like their red brethren. i usually don't mind, however, since i'm usually eating them right off the vine anyway. :)

• ncdirtdigger
    12 years ago

I have tried several varieties and have gotten the best results with Dorman Red raspberries. They have a ground cover type habit and have done quite well for me. I took out my heritage and replaced them with Dormans and have gotten nearly twice the yeild.

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

This year a surprise performer is a Thornless Boysenberry. I've had it for over a year and this year appears to be its moment to shine - it is loaded with blooms. The plant is kinda small, the canes very thin and it does have thorns. It only had a few berries the first spring after I planted it and they tasted great, though not like a raspberry if thats what you're looking for.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm