Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Olives in North Carolina

Posted by ralphw z7b-8 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 22:44

I stumbled across an article in the January issue of Pine Straw, a free magazine published by the Pilot newspaper in Southern Pines, about a blueberry farmer near Lumberton who is going to try growing olives commercially. If successful, he thinks he can use his blueberry harvesting equipment to mechanically pick the olives. I learned from the article that there are already olives being grown commercially in central Georgia. The first question I came away with is how well have his young trees (and the trees in Georgia) handled this winter's unusual cold temperatures. Anyway, here is a link to the article.
http://www.thepilot.com/pinestrawmag/departments/carolina-dreamin/article_129ba220-73f5-11e3-b5e8-001a4bcf6878.html

Here is a link that might be useful: The Kitchen Garden / California Dreamin'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Olives in North Carolina

My big tree (Arbequena) has a lot of leaf burn but I don't think it will die from the cold. My small tree (unknown cultivar) has no damage at all but I did cover it on a few of the cold nights.

Getting the trees to survive is one thing, getting a decent crop of olives is another. There are supposedly plenty of European Olives growing up and down the east coast but very few of them produce fruit. Plant Delights gardeners have told me in the past that they have a few off in the research area that get no protection at all and that some of them produce fruit.

o
RE: Growing Olives in North Carolina

They're growing them in Six Mile, SC (high foothills). Not productive yet, but you could certainly contact them and ask how they did in the freezing weather. Might be that they'd have to wait to see once they break dormancy. They grow blueberries primarily. But have a number of other fruit as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Happy Berry Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here