Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewdodd123

Zone spacific forums for 6b and/or wnc

andrewdodd123
12 years ago

Does anyone know of any zone spacific forums for 6b or the western north Carolina area? Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Comments (8)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

Andrew, any zone area is also effected by elevation.
    Perhaps you are frustrated that most of the chat and discussion here is by mid-state Carolineans.
    What you might do is ask around at your local nurseries and garden centers if there are any web-chats they frequent.
    I was 6b when I lived in the NorthEast but flatlands growing up there was a whole lot different than 6b foothills and mountains of Carolina.

• andrewdodd123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a good idea Dottie thank you! I am a little frustrated with the generalized "Carolina" forum but there does seam to be a lot of very useful information here and very knowledgable people. Hopefully I can find or start a forum for more localized info as well. Thanks again.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

Where are you specifically, Andrew? Town and elevation?
    Sometimes there are microclimes within a zone depending on topography and where your gardens sit relative to other structures.

You may check back through the pages of the Carolina forum to search for the 'Where are you in NC?' threads.
    From that you can locate many other GardenWeb folks who are less frequent posters and many from western NC.
    Hope this helps.

• splitrock
    12 years ago

Andrew, we have a cabin in the NC mountains, (Ashe county) near the Blue Ridge Parkway. We have just added on to the original cabin and the trac hoes etc have really left a mess. I'm working on deer resistant landscaping ideas and plans. I have tried the GW North forums, but it seems to get so lttle traffic. The GW woodlands formum has been helpful to me recently. I would be interested to know about any active formums for the nc mountains that you come across.

• andrewdodd123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will keep you informed splitrock and Dottie I wonder if I can email the web designer for garden web.com and see if a separate WNC forum can be added to the selection. I think it would be popular. I'll have to check into that as well. I am in Waynesville nc just west of Asheville at around 3600' elevation.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

Honestly,Andrew I don't think you'll have much luck but you can try. See, GardenWeb was just a one-man operation originally and if I recall correctly, Spike was from the NorthEast. Then his site was sold to iVillage and ,short of asking for forum moderators, iVillage doesn't get too
    involved in monitoring or interacting with users.

The Carolina forum which is part of the Southern region has a lot of use year round because of the many planting zones and the huge population shift moving from more northern states.
    They all seem to find us and that's why we are one of the few forums to have a three-sector forum including exchanges and conversations. We love it that way, it helps us keep on track and on topic.

Anyway, I was going to suggest that you might contact Carolina Gardening magazine. They were taken over recently too but you might connect with some of the older staff and see if they can put you in touch with our Mountain Gardeners of the South.

Remember also, that lots of people live on the Piedmont and have either or both beach houses and mountain houses so many of the regular posters here have multi-zone experience. It's early in the season. Next month you'll see a lot more participation on all the forums.
    Maybe you could Google Blue Ridge gardening,mountain gardening etcetera but I still feel your local nurseries can be of most help.

• andrewdodd123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

splitrock- i found a forum at gardenasheville.com with what looks like about 150 members. i am awaiting aproval but it apears like a very good local forum. I thing asheville citizen times is running the forum if i recal. hope this help.

• coorscat
    12 years ago

Andrew:
    I am on the Swain/Jackson county border(west of you..by the TN border)at 3,100 feet on the morning side of the mountain. I find some general info for the area from this forum and just ignore the stuff that doesn't apply. Don't laugh, but I find the best source of gardening information is the Clampitt's Ace Hardware in Bryson City. If I stroll to the back where people gather to socialize, I pick up loads of information. While Waynesville is a bit of a drive to get to Bryson (don't tell me you had a season pass for Cataloochee or I will be green with envy)I am sure there is something similar in your area.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?