Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Breath of Spring

Posted by murphy_zone7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 5:52

HI...I am looking for a plant commonly known as "breath of spring" and can not find the botanical name. Honey bees are very attracted to it and it is producing nectar when nothing else is, which makes it very popular with honey bees and their keepers.
I also think it is a shrub like plant with white blooms. That is the extent of my knowledge which isn't much in the world of google searching.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Murphy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Breath of Spring

It may be Lonicera fragrantissima, considered an invasive plant in many areas,

Here is a link that might be useful: Lonicera fragrantissima

o

• Posted by lsst 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 13:58

Where are you located?
Several nurseries in my area carried it last year.

My grandmother has had one in her garden for over 50 years and it has never become invasive. It is just a large bush.

I have one in my heirloom garden and absolutely love it.
I propagated it from my grandmother's plant.

It has had bees visiting it since January.

This post was edited by lsst on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 13:59

o

Now is the only time I've ever seen it for sale. When they stop blooming, no one buys them. They are easy to root from cuttings - like all honeysuckles.

o

Thanks, lsst, I am in upstate SC near Anderson. and honey bees are why I want one.
Carol, thank you, I think that is it.
Now to find a place to buy or someone to give me a cutting.
Will go by the local nurseries and see what they have.
I do appreciate the info.
Murphy

This post was edited by murphy_zone7 on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 7:27

o

I saw it last year at Martins Nursery in Mauldin SC.
Also, try Head Lee Nursery in Seneca.

o

Oh, and its often called 'First Breath of Spring'

o

Thanks again for the updates. Will check those nurseries and also try the name "First Breath of Spring".

o

Murphy, let me know if you do not find a Winter Honeysuckle because I have one I plan to remove and pot up next week. We will be returning to Greenville (from Raleigh) in mid-April and I could arrange to meet you in the Piedmont area where my sister-in-law lives.

o

I have one that was given to me by a friend and she called it "Sweet Breath of Spring". It has a lovely arching habit and does well for me under a tree in partial shade. I love it. And it does smell so good!

Sweet Breath of Spring and Bulbs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here