Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange tree roots?

Posted by woodywoodchuck Zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 7:04

I was tilling behind the house in Wake Forest, NC last night and hit what looked to be an orange 3/4" garden hose. After untangling it from the tiller it turned out to be a root. Color and striations exactly like a carrot, very flexible and the core is yellow. Any ideas what it might be from?

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange tree roots?

My Loblolly Pines have red/orange roots. :)

Pam

o

Excellent, thank you for solving the mystery! There was just such a diversity of trees to check. - John

o

mulberry also have saffron colored roots.

o

Mahonia/ grape hollies have orangy roots.

o
Oh boy, too many choices!

At least I know it was not poisionous. My lab had a great time digging/tearing it out of the ground and tossing it around the yard. Two days later and she is still around. She is such a big help.

o

My apple trees roots are orange and when I move them my german sheppard barks and crys and tries to pull me away if I try to pull it out, I think its from pipes ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here