Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnflowerlover

Irises

Should I be worried if my rhizome irises are not blooming yet? I transplanted them last year. I see some others blooming, but only two of mine have. Thy did settle themselves a little under the soil, so I will uncover them today. Is there still time to bloom, or are thy going to wait until next year? This is my first year (they were neglected).

MyDutch irises are coming out nicely, though!

Comments (8)

• chas045
    11 years ago

My iris bloomed the first year after fall transplant. None of my iris have bloomed yet this year although a neighbor's that are in full sun have been blooming for a week. I have some old fashioned iris (like my neighbor's) that are about ready to bloom, but my large iris are not ready yet.

Over in the iris forum, I have heard that there are even some iris that bloom much later in the season. However, I would expect most to bloom soon.

• ncdirtdigger
    11 years ago

Bloom time can vary depending on the variety you have. I would not be concerned as yet. Can you see any evidence of bloom stalks forming?

• chas045
    11 years ago

Slight modification of my original post. My large bearded iris (most from the same source) in two areas now have bloom stalks, but a third area that also has established iris still show no signs. That area was established later. Perhaps bloom is slower for recently or non-established beds.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thx! I only see one bloom stalk on the bearded irises now. I have no idea what they are...they came with the house, but never bloomed until one did last December and two did a few weeks ago. I will keep crossing my fingers! The few that did bloom are a deep, gorgeous purple. :) oh, I should have mentioned this bunch was transplanted last June; another was from the fall (but they are from my husband's ancestor's home and much-neglected, so I do not expect blooms on that bunch this year).

• chas045
    11 years ago

Until you said the transplants were done in June, I expected that many of your iris would bloom. I was almost typing 'ALL your iris', but then I remembered that many of my original transplants must not have bloomed because I appeared to have more colors the second year!

However, June is probably too early and I would expect summer heat to hinder establishment. In any case, my third group still mostly has no buds. By the way, iris are very hardy. I have some iris growing in the woods (where they probably won't bloom). I just threw them in there and they established themselves without cultivation. Back in California, one of my major iris stands came from a pile of extra divisions just left on open ground to fend for themselves.

• coorscat
    11 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it at all. None of my iris are making blooming noises. Just be patient

• patskywriter
    11 years ago

i heard somewhere me that my iris plants will spread nicely if i dig them up and replant them so that they're almost resting on top of the soil. is that true? (my irises are planted a few inches deep, and i admit that they're not spreading the way they did back home in chicago.)

• chas045
    11 years ago

The general rule for iris is that the rizhomes sit partially above ground. I would think it would have been that way back in Chicago too. I suppose that cold could be an issue up there. I have never had a garden in the north.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?