Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple shrubs

Posted by jimtnc 7b NC TTTF (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 8:59

Are those small purple shrubs I've seen all over the place all winter called Nandina's - Heavenly Bamboo, or do I have them confused with something else? I've been checking other plant sites to see what they look like and they always show them green or slightly mixed with a green/orange/red look to them. I have the Nandina-Firepower, but they're not as pretty as those purple ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple shrubs

• Posted by jimtnc 7b NC TTTF (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 10:20

the reason I ask is I have Firepower, and they have never looked like this:

...more like this:

o

Firepower is red/purple, but only in winter. I've noticed that the ones in full, bright winter sun are brighter and more solid in color. Other times of the year, they have the other colors of green/copper like your 2nd photo.

Cameron

o

• Posted by jimtnc 7b NC TTTF (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 12:25

That's funny. The ones I bought 3 years ago were labeled firepower, but they have never gotten more color than the second pic. Of Course, I bought them at HD, so they could have been mis-labeled I guess. I have 1 in partial shade and 3 in full sun, and still no bright red in winter. Weird.

o

Have you seen this link to NCSU?

Firepower was developed in New Zealand, I think. Your second photo looks like it came from Monrovia's website? I have seen firepower almost totally green in the summer. I have 'Moon Bay' and it changes color a lot. It's in full southern sun.

nandina

o
RE: Purple shrubs - link didn't work

Well, I had a link to NCSU in the link field and it didn't work. I've had lots of problems lately with postings on the forum. Anyway...search NCSU, too.

o

Yeah, I did get that pic from Monrovia, but it still depicts exactly how my Nandinas look most of the time. Guess it might depend also on soil conditions, etc, but everyone else's around here are blood red. PMO me a little.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here