Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Tulips and Semi-Shade Plants

Posted by benh56 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 9:18

Hey everyone! I recently bought a home with my new wife and since this is our first spring in the home I thought Id get some planting done. My first question involves tulips. I got some tulip plants from lowes today and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on the best way to plant them. Im sure people who live here know that our clay soil can be a hassle and its my biggest concern with planting anything. I also want to ask if any of yall have any ideas on perennial flowers I could plant in a moderately shaded environment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Tulips and Semi-Shade Plants

Welcome! I'd do a search for past threads on the semi shaded; in fact there's an active one right now on that very subject. Always a good idea before you post a new thread- we've covered just about everything through the years, and that way you have instant answers.

As for the tulips- i'd leave them in a pot, or put them in another decorative one. Reason is, they are annuals here- the foliage will come back and you may get a rare second year bloom, but it's unusual, and you'll just end up digging out the bulb to chuck it if you plant them in the ground (unless you like forlorn looking foliage with no blooms). Daffodils, species tulips and lots of the minor bulbs come back happily and multiply, but not the big showy tulips- it's too warm here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here