Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimtnc

Can pruning be simplified?

jimtnc
16 years ago

I know there must be an artform to this, because I think I've read about everything I can think of to enable me to better prune shrubbery, trees, etc, and I still don't prune very well.

Is there something out there that helps you determine (ie,for small trees) how to select the limbs to cut? I mean some kind of visual aid that does more than showing you how to cut a branch, to cut water sprouts off of parallel growing branches, cutting out inward growing limbs, cutting on one side of the branch will create growth, etc.

My problem is not being able to "see" which limbs/branches to cut to help the tree grow in a more full and healthy shape. Any one feel like sharing this artform?

Comments (10)

• tamelask
    16 years ago

It is a little arty, and it does get easier. I think for pruning fruit trees, anyhow, it really, really helped me to see a live demo at a local garden. The county co-op extension service has them each year, they're free, and they are normally in early march. If they're done, try to tag along with someone who's pruning the same sort of thing as what you're wanting to learn about. I think it's one of those things that's so much easier to see & 'get' when done in person than book knowledge. Garden mentors & buddies beat books for so many things any day of the week!

I think the art in it comes from being able to visualize what the tree will look like with that branch subtracted, and find the best spot. That skill does come easier as you practice. I struggle more with my ornamental bonsai like things (like jap maples) than with my fruit trees, i suppose because i'm not as worried about visual effect with them as proper spacing, etc. Sometimes the rules for what you 'should' do conflict with what appeals visually to you - or me, at least.

• pfmastin
    16 years ago

There's a great little book called Pruning Techniques. It's been around for a while, but is still available through Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon - Pruning Techniques

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tamelask - thanks for the input. Sounds like you were intuitive enough to read into my dilemma. I've read a number of articles and excerpts enough until my head is swimming in pruning techniques.

I wish someone (HGTV ?) would put out a video on how to visualize various pruning cuts on various type of trees. I think your idea of going to these nursery/big box pruning/tree cutting clinics is an excellent one. I'll have to check around. As much money as I've spent in Lowes and HD, I think I'm gonna recommend that they need to do they same for their customers.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Either that, or just ask a friend if you can watch & observe when they're pruning. I've a very hands on learner for actions- i do ok with books, but nothing like getting in there and seeing it, so i figured that was the problem. I know i've read one of my pruning books til my eyes shut, and it doesn't make much sense nor can i remember it til i get out there and do it, and i start to see. It wouldn't surprise me if Logan's and/or the arboretum offers pruning workshops. Watch in the goings on section of the paper- that's where that stuff is listed normally.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You don't want me asking my friends to watch their pruning...they do theirs with a chainsaw. Not too gentle. I'm the same as you, I've got to visualize, and then work with it and get the feel. Hopefully only a few mistakes made and go from there. I'll be looking out for a local workshop.

• Dibbit
    16 years ago

If you have an old overgrown shrub, say a forsythia or the like, or else one that gets taken to the ground or almost to the ground in spring, or a friend has and will let you play with it, you could start with that. In both situations, whatever you do is not earth shattering if it goes slightly wrong - as you can cut it off, or cut further back and not feel you have "ruined" the shrub - in the one case, it WILL grow vigorously anyway, and in the other case, your cuts will also be cut away. You can make cuts, and then stand back and look at the shrub, and decide if that was a "good" cut or not - if the shrub is going to the ground anyway, in the greater scheme of things, it's OK if that wasn't a good idea.

What I find works for me - so it might not work for you - is to go around the shrub (whatever it is) a couple of times, decide which branches and twigs are dead and take them off, take out the crossing, really misplaced branches and obviously "wrong" branches, and then go 'round it again, and try to visualize what it would look like without this branch or that section of branch. Sometimes, I decide to stop there, as I think it's OK with all the branches that are there. If I think it would look better, I take it off, and then walk around it and look again. I always do this feeling that I can go back later and take off more, but right now I don't HAVE to do it all - tomorrow is always another day!

Hope this helps. Experience, hands-on, will also help, as does watching someone who is willing to explain why they are taking off what they are.

• montane1
    16 years ago

I've had the greatest learning by helping. You get to see and then you get the hands-on practice. Sometimes you get a free lunch out of it, too. Find somebody with a hobby orchard or ask around the local community college. If you offer to help, they'll probably be glad to teach.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That last sentence of yours says it all, I think. I have a couple of forsythias that I have cut back in the past, but it doesn't look like any kinda art work when I'm done with it. Maybe practicing on it with the intent of looking things over first rather than just wacking it off is better way...but I do think having a pro or someone knowlegeable and good to explain would make a world of difference.

Please excuse the several different posting threads I've started. It looks like I don't have anything else to do, but I just have a lot of questions this year.

• uyeahu
    14 years ago

I learned quite a bit on pruning by reading bonsai books. While you don't necessarily want to have all your shrubs and trees look like bonsai, you will get an idea of what looks pleasing to the eye, and how to deal with thinning, crossed branches, etc. You could even train a Japanese Maple into a bonsai-like specimen tree which would be rather cool!

• carolinagardendawg
    14 years ago

Here's a tip...do your inspection and maybe even the pruning (assuming it's "OK" with the species) during the winter. It's ALWAYS easier to look at the branching structure with no leaves on the trees...and for some is easier to visualize what it'll look like without the limb/branch. I always do a couple of walkthroughs during the winter to inspect how my deciduous trees and shrubs are growing and to determine if and how much things should be pruned. One of my wife's friends came over a couple of months ago, saw me pruning a Bloodgood japanese maple, and asked in shocked bewilderment, "why is he doing that now?!?! Isn't he afraid he'll take off the wrong branches?!?! He won't know what it'll look like with leaves!" My wife lauged and said "he's doing now because he can see the branches he's taking off...and it'll look just like it did last summer except it'll be missing those branches!"

ALWAYS easier to see the bones when you pull the skin away...