Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_jo_gw

anyone around Raleigh wintersowing?

linda_jo
13 years ago

Is anyone around Raleigh wintersowing? Have you taken the tops off your containers yet? Have you sown annual seeds yet?

Comments (11)

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Hi, I'm wintersowing in in Winston-Salem. I started in January. I did my annuals the same time I did the perennials. Just about everything has germinated - cilantro, belles of ireland, cosmos, zinnias, painted daisies and a couple of others. I haven't taken the upper part of the jugs off yet. It's suppose to get up to 82 degrees today so it's going to be soon. I generally down take the tops off until all chances of frost have past. I hope your having as good luck with wintersowing as I am!!!

• linda_jo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jdbheartease, This is my first year ws. It is thrilling to see all those little seedlings. My husband says no more frost but the almanac says March 31. Is that the date you are going by to plant out? Our weather is so unpredictable in March. I used to use Good Friday as my safe date but this year it is really late- Apr 22.
    Linda

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Linda, This is my 3rd year wintersowing. I absolutely love seeing those seedling pop up. I have several of my neighbors also wintersowing. It's addicting. I generally don't put my seedling out until they have gotten to be 1" - 2" in size and all chance of frost past - so late April/May. I do wintersowing a little different every year. The first & second year, I put lots of seeds in the container - well then you have to thin them out and generally I don't need that many seedlings. This year, I didn't put as many seeds in the jug - so I may only have 5 - 8 plants in there.

Last year, I wintersowed daylilies for the first time - 2 - 4 seeds per jug. I didn't take the daylilies out of the jug until they had almost reached the top of the jug. The exciting part about the daylilies that I wintersowed last year is that this year I will get flowers. I can't wait until they bloom. I also wintersowed miniature hostas last year. They're still in the plastic salad container that I wintersowed them in - but the lid was taken off last year when they came up. They're already coming up - 1". This year, I will plant them in a clay container or put them in the garden. By far, the plants that I wintersow are more healthier than the plants that I buy.

I don't buy many plants anymore. I usually take my extra plants/divisions to the plant swaps and get plants there. BTW, there is a wonderful Raleigh Plant Swap. You can see more info about the Raleigh Plant Swap under the Carolina Gardening Forum Exchange section.

• wilson1
    13 years ago

JDB, I have been thinking about winter sowing for a long time, but I don't know how to get started. My kitchen looks like a potting shed and my poor DH is getting tired of carrying plants in and out every day.
    I live in Greensboro, so if we have a plant swap this year, I hope to be able to make it. Maybe you can help me understand winter sowing so I can do it next year.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

there's a whole winter sowing forum. Go on over there and read the FAQ's and that should help you understand what it's about. It's simple, really- sowing things in deep enough containers to help them stay moist, usually with a cover, and putting them outside to stratify and sprout when they *know* the temps are right. It works marvelously.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Hi Wilson1, tamelask is right. There's a good wintersowing forum right here on the Garden Web. There's also another good website site called wintersown.org. There where I learned to wintersow at. Check out that website and see what you think. They start with the very basics, from beginning to end. Once you've learn, it's addicting. Then you'll start swapping seeds all over the country. Good Luck. Judy

• linda_jo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also learned what I know from Wintersown.org first. Trudy explains everything. Then when you have other questions read everything in the winter sowing forum at gardenweb. Everyone is so encouraging and willing to share tips and hold a newbie's(like me) hand.

jdb, I have looked for plant swap/sale info in Carolina gardening but can't find anything. Has it been set up yet?

Linda

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Linda, The Raleigh Spring Plant Swap is listed under the Exchanges section under Carolina Gardening Forum. It's been set for 4/23 from 2 to 4 pm. My favorite swap - wonderful group of gardeners coming from different areas, good food and good plants.

• wilson1
    13 years ago

I will check that out. I think I looked at it in January, but I was too intimidated to start - however with the farm in my kitchen I have got to do something different next year! I guess I'll just have to take the plunge.
    Other years, there were plant swaps in the W-S, High Point, Greensboro area. Is that going to happen this year? I hope if there is that I can make it this year. I have been doing some seed swapping on the seed exchange forum and that is lots of fun - got all kinds of things I'd never even heard of before (hence the jungle in my kitchen!)

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

wilson1 - I think you will really like wintersowing. It's very easy and rewarding. If you have any questions please e-mail me. My eleven year old daughter did it as her "How to Project" for school. The teacher really loved it and so did the kids.

There are 2 plant swaps planned for W-S area that I know of. One on April 5th in Lewisville (listed in the Exchanges section) and the other is May 7 at the Agriculture Extension Office on Fairchild Drive. Both have been very good swaps in the past.

I did seed swapping on the seed exchange and was pleased at the variety seeds I received. That's were I got my daylily and hosta seeds at. Dumb me, didn't even realize that daylilies and hosta grew from seeds. I've learned alot about wintersowing and seeds from the GW.

Hope to see you at the swaps.

• wilson1
    13 years ago

Judy, I know what you mean about the seeds. People sent little bonus seeds of things I didn't know could grow from seed. I love it! I have lots of little sprouts in my kitchen and I am dreaming of a beautiful garden this summer.
    I can't make the April 5th swap, but hopefully I can make May 7th. There is also a big herb sale in Greensboro April 7th and I will be there.