Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Site for soil temp in NC cities, etc/sowing seed temp ?

Posted by carolinaflowerlover 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 11:19

Below is a website where you can look up soil temps, etc, for your area. Mine measures hourly.

At what soil temp is good to sow flowers? Average last frost date is April 6, but this stupid weather has soil temps as low as high 30s at night and only in mid to high 40s (50s if lucky) during the day. I imagine it needs to be a bit higher. Where is spring? This is nuts! :(

Here is a link that might be useful: NC soil information

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Site for soil temp in NC cities, etc/sowing seed temp ?

Fascinating map! Thanks for sharing.

Here the last expected frost date is April 15, but years ago I planted some things near the end of that month. The first week of May we had a killing frost, and I lost all of it.

Science can only predict based on data gathered, but Mother Nature keeps giving us surprises.

o

Most garden veggie seeds sprout at around 70 degrees. After they're up they can handle cooler temps but it takes a week or so of the 70 degrees to get them sprouted.

Soil temps are more important than air temps.

o

Glad you like it! I am stalking my area. :)

Do flower seeds also do best at soil temps of 70, or lower?

No joke on the surprises. These last few weeks have been surprises!

o

Surprising to me there are no soil temps showing for my entire county of Mecklenburg yet Raleigh area has many reports.
Wonder why that is?
Don't know how to rely on such a map since there's no way of knowing if the readings are recorded in full sun or what time of day.
Even the soil moisture readings have got to vary all over the place in one yard alone. But it was interesting.

o

The sites must vary. Sorry yours does not give much. Mine gives soil temp reading averages by the hour (do not know about sun vs shade, though). :)

o

Wow, it's got temps and data all the way down into my area!! Great Data, thanks so much for sharing the link!

o

Welcome! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here