Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Raleigh Gardner: What are you all planting?

Posted by plantsonthepoint 7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 11:35

My name is Keith; I'm halfway through my first semester in the Horticulture Dept. of NCSU. I have been actively gardening/ landscaping, tending pants for about a decade. I love all plants, but am most drawn to ornamental horticulture.

I am renting a room in a great farmhouse, south of campus, and want to start adding to the already semi-landscaped yard. I have both full sun and full shade and everything in between. I am mainly looking for woody shrubs, trees, and perennials. Because I live on a horse farm I have all the compost I need to enliven the soil. It is otherwise a heavy clay.

Special issues are: that I'd like to incorporate as many natives and wildlife-friendly plants as possible; that my bedroom has double windows facing South to the field and pastures and ponds. What would you plant in full sun to achieve shade sooner rather than later? I'd like to know there might be shade if I'm still here in a few years.

Thanks,
---Keith

Misfit and house

The two windows together facing the camera are mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: In case picture doesn't post....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Raleigh Gardner: What are you all planting?

have you thought of Fragrant Tea Olive (Osmanthus fragrans)

o

First off, are you allowed to plant stuff if it's a rental?

I'd highly recommend planning on attending the plant swap we have in this area in april. You can get a bunch of stuff at that for free and meet many gardeners. We have a great time at them.

One place i'd consider for buying things is broadwell's- do a search on this forum and you should find plenty of info on them. They have cheap stuff, but you do need to have some idea of what you're wanting, and you'll need to take a truck or a trailer to haul stuff back. Not so many natives. For that, i would consider the swaps. Or niche gardens in chapel hill. There are some really good plant vendors each year at the state farmer's market, too. You may want to consider building a temporary trellis and growing some annual vines on it for fast shade til any shrubs/trees have a chance to get bigger. There have been posts about that and recommended plants as well if you search.

o

I love my Fragrant Tea Olive, and second evilscott's suggestion!! You might also try salvia greggi. It is a shrubby perennial with bright pink or red flowers spring through fall. Butterflies and hummingbirds love them, and they are deer resistant too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here