Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

Plant ID please :)

christy2828
11 years ago

I see these large bushes around town flowering their little hearts out in winter. Can anyone tell me what it is? I'm NE coastal NC (Elizabeth City). This was taken last week, my daughter took it from the backseat while I was going 45 miles an hour, sorry it isn't clearer. Thanks!! Christy
{{gwi:560911}}

Comments (14)

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

Those are Camelias

• christy2828
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!! They are gorgeous, and a welcome sight during winter. I may have to get a few :)
    Christy

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

They can be kind of expensive because they are pretty slow growing - so when you're looking at one in a pot, know that someone took years and years to get it that big.

• therock050383
    11 years ago

Definitely Camelias.....Camellia japonica to be specific. They bloom in fall, winter, and early early spring, which is cool cause its not too common. They are evergreens with glossy leaves.

That pic is a little blurry, but camelias are so nice they are easy to spot.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Too bad they grow so slow!! We're military, and will most likely be transferred in two years. I know it was a blurry pic, but they definitely stand out, I figured they'd be pretty easy to figure out :). They're very pretty, I love how the petals pool around the base of the bush! Christy

• msjay2u
    11 years ago

I have to say that I also have Camillas in my yard and I used Miracle Grow Tree and Shrub fertilizer spikes in the spring and in the fall and my bushes have grown really fast. Not exponentially but they are a nice size AND they bloom starting in the fall through the spring. My plants right now are still in bloom. I have used those fertilizer stakes around all my plants they grow nicely and I don't really have a green thumb that produces magic so when I see something that works I stick to it LOL!!! these plants are a bit pricey but you can propagate by air layering.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!! I have a wannabe green thumb, but I really stink at it. My husband is better, but he really doesn't have to time to keep up with the stuff I start!! I'll give those a shot, I was at Lowe's looking at them the other day. I'll go back and pick some up. Thanks for the tip!!

• shirleytownsend
    11 years ago

While they are slow growing they bloom from the get go and you can start cuttings quite easily. Go for it if for no other reason than to leave a little beauty behind for those that come after you.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I will :) Hopefully Lowe's will clearance some out soon!! I've done quite a bit to improve this property, in a few years someone else will have an abundant supply of blackberries and blueberries! I did pick up those Miracle Grow spikes, hopefully the Tea Olives and indian hawthorne's will bloom nicely this year :) Christy

• msjay2u
    11 years ago

I agree with Shirley. You might ha able to ask someone if you can either air Layer or get a cutting. Anyone you will love it

• msjay2u
    11 years ago

I messed that all up. Spell check...I think you get my drift thou

• christy2828
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol, I do :) I'll ask around, I really don't know anyone with one in their yard. I'll see if anyone I know has one. Thanks :) Christy

• christy2828
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got one!! We ran two types of Azalea's down the back of the house (morning sun) and then I picked up a Rosehill Red Camellia just off center of the corner of the house. It's about 4 feet tall, and I got it at the Norfolk Botanical Garden annual plant sale on Mother's Day. It is so pretty, I can't wait to see it in bloom!!! Christy

• shirleytownsend
    10 years ago

You will enjoy it as long as you are there and in years to come others will enjoy it. When you come back to the area you can drive by and see how well it does. Camellia's and Azalea's both will be there forever.