Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover in Ditch...which to plant?

Posted by yankeeinnc (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 12:03

Hi! I am new to Southern Gardening and am learning so much! We have a ditch that fronts the property that is fairly steep and is a pain to mow.
My husband and I are considering planting it with a nice ground cover that will flower. We will need something that will tolerate periodic heavy rain with standing water for about 24 hours (this happens fairly rarely) and full sun exposure. The expanse is about 75ft across the front yard that I wish to plant. Can I start something from seed? Of course, the least expensive is always the best!
Any ideas, comments are appreciated..I hope to read many more posts here and learn even more about Southern Gardening...Thanks...elle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover in Ditch...which to plant?

Guess that's where the term "ditch lilies" came from. The common orange daylilies..you see them everywhere. I'm sure other posters can come up with a nice list of ever-blooming mixture of plants for you.

o

What i grow in my steep, deep unmowable ditch is lysamchia nummalaria aka creeping jenny. Stays flat, spreads nicely, but is easy to pull if it gets out of bounds. Little yellow flowers. Can handle full sun, and periodic flooding. It will look rough during a drought, but should bounce back. Comes in plain green or hot chartreuse. It stay flush with the ground- so now mowing, trimming or other maintenance.

If you have a barrier of some sort, you could consider mint, but be aware it's very invasive if there isn't a driveway or something solid like that to stop its spread. There's also a fairly pretty creeping charlie that is variegated that works well. It also can stand flooding. I also encourage wild violets in my ditch. Anything that's green, stays low and doesn't need trimmed or mowed is welcome. Grass is not.

o

Welcome, fellow Yankee! You're going to love the Carolinas!
I absolutely agree with Tam, Lysimachia will be a very good choice. If you want to save money, pay for the largest pot of this plant you can find and then divide it into small pieces. It roots and spreads very quickly. Pop a few bulbs of Leucojum in with them for added, early Spring interest - they tolerate being wet for 24 hours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leucojum images

o

• Posted by mfc1 z7NC (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 19:14

I have to say the best thing may be to plant a "Rain Garden" in this area. Check this link below to see if this will help.
http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/topic/raingarden/

Here is a link that might be useful: ncsu rain gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here