Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deirdre_2007

Transplanting Creeping Red Sedum, 'Dragon's Blood'

deirdre_2007
16 years ago

The first year I moved into our new house in Clayton, I bought and planted 24 creeping red sedum. They are in full sun all day. The soil is heavy clay. They are planted on a deep slope on the side of our driveway. They have not grown an inch since I've planted them, and about 8 of them have since died.

I've come to the conclusion that I have to move them to a different location in my yard. Belatedly, I realize that they shouldn't be mulched otherwise they cannot spread their wings. I am seeking suggestions on how to transplant them so I won't lose any more plants.

I plan on putting them in another area of my garden that also gets full sun throughout the latter part of the day. The soil is also heavy clay, but I can and will plant with lots of leaf mold and potting soil. Should I transplant them now, or wait until after the fear of frost? I remember from last year, that the date for the last frost is April 15th.

Oh, lastly, I'm not worried about them taking over this part of the garden. It's an unsightly bit of land that currently is a mixture of weeds, dirt and old tree stumps. It was clear cut in order to build the house. Directly behind this area begins, my woods where the deer and the antelope (okay, so I'm stretching it with the antelope bit, but I'm kinda humming the song in my head as I type) play so I'm not concerned about it creeping into the underbrush.

I began cleaning up this space last year by placing a picket fence to corner off the area. I planted a few salvias and about 6 dianthus here too. I had a bunch of potted vincas that I'm hoping I can also plant in the ground later in the spring. My mom gave me a bunch of Cannas last year, and I planted those here too. I think the sedum will help to cover the area and make it more attractive. Eventually, I'll put a border in to seperate the new space from the grass line. I'll wait on that until the plants actually begin to fill in. Right now, I think I'm the only one that knows that this is a garden in progress. It actually looks very pitiful now, but I'm hoping in time, it will be an attractive spot.

So long story short, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, tips and advice for transplanting my sedum. Sorry I was so long-winded.

Comments (6)

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Deirdre--

Don't move them, just begin putting composted manure over them. They need to be able to put their roots in something and then they will be able to take the heat. You can buy BLACK COW manure from Home Depot or Lowes. Spread this over the existing plants bringing all new growth to the surface. They will take off.

Sedum roots in water so you can also take cuttings and root them to help spread this patch faster. Now is a great time to add the manure. Most all sedum begins to surface about this time of spring.

HTH

Ronda

• deirdre_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ronda for your suggestion. However, I should have mentioned that I bought a few plants with the intent of planting them where the sedum is now. So basiclly, the sedum has to go.

Or is it too late to move them now?? Should I have done it last fall?? I certainly wouldn't want them to perish and if transplanting will do that to them, then I guess I'll have to keep them where they are.

Thoughts/suggestions please? Thank you.

• peppergirl
    15 years ago

Hello Deirdre,
    I was wondering how it went with your Dragon's Blood sedum?
    Thanks,
    PepperGirl

• deirdre_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Peppergirl,

I didn't want to chance moving them, so I let them stay put. They are on my list right now to move in the Fall. My daughter's birthday is next weekend, but after that, my focus will shift back to the fall gardening chores.

I put a bit of manure around them in the Spring, but I've pretty much ignored them this summer. They're about the exact same size that they were 3 years ago. I'm hoping that once I move them, they'll begin to flourish.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Just my 2 cents - but Red Sedum has never done well for me no matter where I planted it. Most of my other ground cover sedums prefer some shade and gravely/sandy rich soil.

• naturalmelisa_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I know this is late, but I bought a couple of Red Sedum(Dragon's Blood) about a month and a half ago. I split them up & planted them shallowly in my rockgarden in the back yard, and watered them for about a week. After that, I left them alone and they went CRAZY!! They are beautifully spreading. So, all u need is alittle bit of soil from anywhere in your yard and any kind of small rocks, and these plants will grow for u!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?