Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
transplanted2scin07

Salvia leucanthemum - not hardy?

I could have sworn Salvia leucanthemum, Mexican Sage, was hardy in 7b, but mine is dead dead dead. Was I wrong? It was such a gorgeous plant! Could I have rooted cuttings for wintering over inside?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• safariofthemind
    14 years ago

Same experience here. I think that it is really an 8b plant. Grows well in Houston and the gulf. But it is such a lovely sculptural plant by late fall I just keep it around and treat like an annual. By the way, it seems to like a shovelful of manure/compost in the hole when you plant it...and to be planted in a high mound so it's feet stay dry. Mine sometimes become 4 feet tall and wide - such a sight. RJ

• tamelask
    14 years ago

It's easy to overwinter in a cool space like basement or barely heated greenhouse kept above freezing. Mine even often flowers in winter! They are pretty easy from cuttings, so you could pop yours in the ground & come august gets some cuttings to overwinter.

• DYH
    14 years ago

Leucantha is supposed to be hardy down to 15-20° F.

As for other salvias -- the greggii varieties are evergreen for me, but need a trim and shaping early in the spring. They are considered short-lived, but I have some that are going into their 5th year.

My pineapple sage (3 years old) just showed a few basal leaves yesterday.

My salvia guaranitica 'Black & Blue' are just now starting to show green. Sometimes, the green is a bit away from where you think it should show up at first. I have it in different sun locations in the garden, and some of the plants are green and some aren't yet. Everyday, I find another sign of life!

I'm still waiting on my Indigo spires, mystic spires, etc. to show life.

Cameron

• torajima
    14 years ago

Mexican Sage is fairly borderline in our area, but it helps if they have REALLY good drainage. I lost both of mine during our cold, wet winter this year, but they did winter over the previous year.

Cameron, the rest of my salvias have been showing life for some time now, so it may be time to start worrying about the 'Spires'.

• DYH
    14 years ago

Another guaranitica showed green leaves today.

If the spires don't show up by Monday (with all of these 80 degree days), then I'll consider them expired.

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

My experience with this plant is that it's VERY slow to appear in the spring. Just leave the entire plant until you start to see green sprouts at the bottom, then cut back all the old growth. I am just barely getting a tiny bit of green at the bottom. I'll give it another week and cut it back. I hope yours makes it!

• brenda_near_eno
    13 years ago

I am usually 7b, but hard winter this year looked more like 6. I'd still be surprised if it doesn't reappear in a few weeks.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?