Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joe Pye Weed, Hardy hibiscus and Baptisia

Posted by nirenjoshi 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 12:30

I am new to these plants and bought them for the first time last year. There is no green growth on these yet. Is that normal - the salvias, agastaches & monarda all have lots of new green growth already.
Do Joe Pye weed and Baptisia die down to the ground in the winter here in Raleigh-Durham, NC? Or is it that mine are dead?
I have read that the hardy hibiscus is slow to emerge in spring - when should I expect to see any new growth? Should I cut off the dead branches from last year or will new buds appear on those branches?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joe Pye Weed, Hardy hibiscus and Baptisia

The hardy hibiscus I had up in Ct. always grew new from the base but I never cut it back more than halfway generally
leaving about 4' of stalk to keep the moisture/ice away from the base and roots. So, I'd wait until last frost date to cut the old stalks.
Joe Pye is sort of location specific as to when it sprouts.
Sun,soil moisture will determine when it's ready to sprout new growth.

o

My baptisia shows a small green shoot which looks like it was damaged by frost - blackened a bit.There is no other sign of life in it as of now. And still no signs of life on the Joe Pye Weed or the hibiscus either. With the weather supposed to warm up next week, I hope I see some shoots soon. Anyone else have these in their yard/garden - whats your experience?

o

I have baptisia in pots and the buds are just poking thru the soil now.
I think last year, mine started to sprout and then did get nipped by some cold , but did recover.
Don't remember when the hibiscus starts to look alive.
Anybody had luck transplanting hardy hibiscus?

o

Have grown hibiscus from seed and also have several plants, some transplanted. They do fine. However, they are almost tropical for me, so they don't show up until much later in the season.

Baptisia sprouts are just barely above ground now, but you have to move the leaves to see anything. We are having sleet as I type this, so I hope they all stay snuggled down.

o

We have Joe Pye Weed growing naturally along our creek banks (God planted it) and they have not begun to emerge yet but come back faithfully every year. I break down the tall dead branches usually in the fall or spring, whenever I get around to it. My hardy hibiscus has not begun to emerge in full sun in our butterfly garden. Last year, we had shoots up about a foot when we had a hard late freeze and they withered to the ground I despaired thinking it had killed the plant. Within another week, new shoots were there and the plant didn't suffer a bit. I can't testify to Baptisia as I have none. It's on my 'want' list.

o

The Joe Pye Weed now has new shoots emerging from the soil. Its in a pot, but the new shoots are not from the old crown - they are growing from other spots around last year's crown. So I think its going to come back bigger and thicker. This is the Early Joe cultivar which I bought last year from Plants Delight. I have another regular one I bought at Lowes which is yet to show any sign of life.
No action on the 2 hibiscus yet.

o

Just make sure your Joe Pye has a regular source of water.

o

Any signs of life from your Joe Pye weed yet? I bought a 'Little Joe' Joe Pye weed from the JC Raulston arboretum plant sale last fall. It died back completely to the ground and I feared it wouldn't return this spring. While putting some annuals this afternoon I noticed it was just beginning to show some signs of life.

o

Hardy hybiscus are slow to sprout and slower to come up from seed, but they grow very quickly. Don't worry.

o

Both my Joe Pye Weed are back and growing FAST! The Early Joe from PDN grow about 10 inches in a week! The hibiscus are still sleeping. The baptisia also has one green shoot.

o

I grow a good many Hardy Hibiscus. Mine aren't out yet. And they are good returners. Once they peak thru, they will take off like crazy!! It is getting close to time to see those first few little green sprouts at the ground.

o

I saw a few green shoots emerging on one of the 2 hardy hibiscus yesterday!

o

The 2nd hibiscus has also come back!

o

Joe Pye up, but no hibiscus. We will be in the 30's tonight, so I am sure they will NOT be up for some time yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here