Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nchomegarden

Joe Pye Weed, Hardy hibiscus and Baptisia

nchomegarden
11 years ago

I am new to these plants and bought them for the first time last year. There is no green growth on these yet. Is that normal - the salvias, agastaches & monarda all have lots of new green growth already.
Do Joe Pye weed and Baptisia die down to the ground in the winter here in Raleigh-Durham, NC? Or is it that mine are dead?
I have read that the hardy hibiscus is slow to emerge in spring - when should I expect to see any new growth? Should I cut off the dead branches from last year or will new buds appear on those branches?

Comments (14)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    11 years ago

The hardy hibiscus I had up in Ct. always grew new from the base but I never cut it back more than halfway generally
    leaving about 4' of stalk to keep the moisture/ice away from the base and roots. So, I'd wait until last frost date to cut the old stalks.
    Joe Pye is sort of location specific as to when it sprouts.
    Sun,soil moisture will determine when it's ready to sprout new growth.

• nchomegarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My baptisia shows a small green shoot which looks like it was damaged by frost - blackened a bit.There is no other sign of life in it as of now. And still no signs of life on the Joe Pye Weed or the hibiscus either. With the weather supposed to warm up next week, I hope I see some shoots soon. Anyone else have these in their yard/garden - whats your experience?

• hibiscus909
    11 years ago

I have baptisia in pots and the buds are just poking thru the soil now.
    I think last year, mine started to sprout and then did get nipped by some cold , but did recover.
    Don't remember when the hibiscus starts to look alive.
    Anybody had luck transplanting hardy hibiscus?

• Lynda Waldrep
    11 years ago

Have grown hibiscus from seed and also have several plants, some transplanted. They do fine. However, they are almost tropical for me, so they don't show up until much later in the season.

Baptisia sprouts are just barely above ground now, but you have to move the leaves to see anything. We are having sleet as I type this, so I hope they all stay snuggled down.

• joraines
    11 years ago

We have Joe Pye Weed growing naturally along our creek banks (God planted it) and they have not begun to emerge yet but come back faithfully every year. I break down the tall dead branches usually in the fall or spring, whenever I get around to it. My hardy hibiscus has not begun to emerge in full sun in our butterfly garden. Last year, we had shoots up about a foot when we had a hard late freeze and they withered to the ground I despaired thinking it had killed the plant. Within another week, new shoots were there and the plant didn't suffer a bit. I can't testify to Baptisia as I have none. It's on my 'want' list.

• nchomegarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Joe Pye Weed now has new shoots emerging from the soil. Its in a pot, but the new shoots are not from the old crown - they are growing from other spots around last year's crown. So I think its going to come back bigger and thicker. This is the Early Joe cultivar which I bought last year from Plants Delight. I have another regular one I bought at Lowes which is yet to show any sign of life.
    No action on the 2 hibiscus yet.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    11 years ago

Just make sure your Joe Pye has a regular source of water.

• m_taggart
    11 years ago

Any signs of life from your Joe Pye weed yet? I bought a 'Little Joe' Joe Pye weed from the JC Raulston arboretum plant sale last fall. It died back completely to the ground and I feared it wouldn't return this spring. While putting some annuals this afternoon I noticed it was just beginning to show some signs of life.

• woodsworm
    11 years ago

Hardy hybiscus are slow to sprout and slower to come up from seed, but they grow very quickly. Don't worry.

• nchomegarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Both my Joe Pye Weed are back and growing FAST! The Early Joe from PDN grow about 10 inches in a week! The hibiscus are still sleeping. The baptisia also has one green shoot.

• nannerbelle
    11 years ago

I grow a good many Hardy Hibiscus. Mine aren't out yet. And they are good returners. Once they peak thru, they will take off like crazy!! It is getting close to time to see those first few little green sprouts at the ground.

• nchomegarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I saw a few green shoots emerging on one of the 2 hardy hibiscus yesterday!

• nchomegarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The 2nd hibiscus has also come back!

• Lynda Waldrep
    11 years ago

Joe Pye up, but no hibiscus. We will be in the 30's tonight, so I am sure they will NOT be up for some time yet.