Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snake deterrent?

Posted by dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 12:52

I have an abundance of sweetgum 'gumballs'; they're still falling off the tree.
I'd like to place some planters in the slots between treetrunks and their biggest roots..up near the trunk.

Wondering if filling the empty space between with gumballs might keep snakes from curling up there because the gumballs are so prickly.

(I know..try it and get back to us)

Would same gumballs edging a planter saucer deter slugs,do you think? I suppose the smallest ones can slime their way between the points.
What else can you do with gumballs besides spray them with paint for Christmas decorations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snake deterrent?

I doubt gumballs will deter any form of wildlife. Cactus are far more pokey and snakes love to hang out around them.

I have better luck with tiny bowls of beer to control slugs. The copper tape stuff works but slugs will eventually find a route up and over.

o

Regrettably, your response just makes too much sense, John.
Since I asked, I googled and it seems that many people use the gumballs as mulch in their planters on top of the soil and find it helpful so I'm going to try loading up these
nooks with gumballs anyway. Couldn't hurt to try.

The folks from the Pacific northwest recommend the copper
tape/wire treatment as well as the slug geta bait and those folks have continuous problems with slugs so I figure they're the experts.
I've used the beer in low bowls but it's a nuisance to have to empty and fill them daily. I read that flat beer with alcohol evaporated out doesn't work so it's a continuous chore of dumping and refilling.

o

I have read that gumballs work to deter slugs for hostas. However, I never tried it. My hostas are bait for the deer, to entice them so that they don't work on my trilliums. Still have a few hostas, but after years of being munched, they are small. (Have to say hostas are beautiful plants for a city garden that doesn't have to fend off critters.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here