Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First iris bud spotted! Feels like spring. . .

Posted by rosebush z7 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 13:15

Okay, this weather is too gorgeous to be stuck inside an office. When I went home for lunch, I spotted my first iris bud of the year! The leaves have been growing inches each week, especially after the rains, and now they're shooting up bud stalks.
The daffodils and grape hyacinths are still pretty, despite the storms and overnight low temps. Now we're hitting high 60s and tomorrow may go to 73!
Sure feels like spring and I'm loving it! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First iris bud spotted! Feels like spring. . .

I've seen a few iris blooming in gardens around Smithfield. They must be I. kochii, because they always bloom in March and have that characteristic royal purple color. They're just beautiful.

o

Alicia, have you ever seen Iris kochii for sale around here? Elizabeth Lawrence talks about it in her books and I would love to plant it in my garden. I've got Iris lazica and unguicularis in full bloom here now.

o

Mine are the old German irises, pale purple, that smell like grape Kool-aid. Mmmmm! :) Someone was giving them away when I first moved here, so I happily dug them up and planted them in my front flower bed.

o

Karen I ordered my Iris kochii from Argyle Acres online. AA is a topnotch iris vendor and sells a lot of historics. They sell it under the name Kochii. I don't have enough of it to divide yet.

Rosebush your iris sounds like one of the pallidas. They are yummy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here