Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottie_in_charlotte

Save me from Googling to ID tree by blossom

My IT guy says it's all my Googling that probably infected my harddrive. None of my tree books show blossoms clearly.

The blossoms are on a tree overrun by honeysuckle there's just a few branches that are beginning to bloom.

The bark of the tree looks like cherry (some sort of prunus).

The buds are set alternately and open to three to four blossoms.

The blossoms are very pale pink with rosy edges and the petals are 5 and nipped at the tip.

They are oblong petals, not the rounded chubbies you typically find from cherry trees.

The pistil and stamen are yellow and not very long or showy and the flowers have no discernable scent.

The blossoms petals are about 3/4-1" long and opening fully open they are crimped (not opening wide and flat)along the length of the petal.

The base of the flower is on a 1/2" long stem so this must be some sort of ornamental prunus.

Overall and from a distance I thought I was looking at some wild odd pink form of forsythia..that's what the flowers look like.

Guess I'll go back to the books and see if I can figure it out but hope someone recognizes what I am describing.

First spring in this house and I don't want to let the son cut down anything that might be a bloomer. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

It's not just redbud? (judged merely from where you are, time of year, and flower color)

Or maybe Ume apricot?

• lsst
    12 years ago

Hi Dottie,

Right now in upstate SC, I am noticing maples, plum, wild pears, and 'Prunus subhirtella "Autumnalis" or Autumn blooming cherry ( which blooms spring and fall).

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Definitely look at plums (it is also in the genus Prunus).

By the way, no such thing as "wild pears" just escaped ones!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to plum pictures

• lsst
    12 years ago

Esh,
    By escaping, would that not make them "wild" LOL.
    What are the names of the pears, I have had growing "escaped" for years?
    Thanks!

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear dottie in charlotte,
    Once again, my suggestion is that you smip a flowering twig and take it to your county extension office for identification. If they cannot key it out, they will send it to NCSU at Raleigh for identification.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

lsst - I would suggest that your escaped pears are Pyrus calleryana. Unless you see them bearing large fruits (larger than a cherry).

Sorry, to me "wild" implies native and I never want anyone to think that these escapes could be native!

Here is a link that might be useful: Who let the pears out?

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well everyone, thanks but it's not the flower of any of your suggestions so I may take my snip to the nursery and see if I can spot similar.
    I've looked at every prunus flower photo I could find on-line and they all have fat broad, overlapping petals.

If I am able to ID it I'll come back and let you know.
    It's not critical. This is my first spring at this property and I'm finding all sorts of nifty stuff on the 2 acres that are challenging to identify.

• lsst
    12 years ago

Thanks esh,
    I knew they were not native but did not know what to call them!
    I have wondered where they came from so thanks for the link.

Dottie, sorry to drift from your thread. I hope you are able to ID the trees.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

By chance this not a japanese Magnolia, is it? What is often called Saucer magnolia or "tulip" magnolia.

• gusolie
    12 years ago

The Mecklenburg Cooperative Extension office -- at least when it comes to horticulture and "master" gardeners is atrocious.

Dottie, you say the flower has five petals "and looks like a pink forsythia flower". This is confounding, as forsythia flowers have 4 petals and are shaped more like Vs rather than the cup-like form of Prunus species.

I'm wondering if it's a quince (Cydonia sinensis) or (C. oblonga). The trouble is, these have mottled bark like a crape myrtle, but if the quince tree is young/puny or stressed by being draped in competing vines, the bark may not have become fully developed.

I don't want to say quince (in the same breath) because they tend to bloom when the little leaves are already emerging. Are there any "spurs" on the branches -- which are those short stubby twigs that litter the area in between flower clusters?

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

If the flowers are thread-like and downward hanging, could it be a late-flowering _Hammemelis_?

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yippee...got it

In late February and early March bloom the Serviceberry tree well before the native Redbud.

I guess from a distance the blossoms look white but these have a very subtle baby pink hue along the petal edges.

It's a Serviceberry.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Yes, I saw a Serviceberry blooming this weekend too. Way too early! Congrats - that certainly is a keeper. The birds love the berries.