Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncdirtdigger

How to get rid of cattails?

ncdirtdigger
12 years ago

I have three areas (wet drainage areas) that have cattails growing in them. I have tried brush killer, and brush killer with some dish soap added as a surfactant (sp?) to no avail. Any ideas?

http://agrowingcuriousity.blogspot.com/

Comments (21)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

Aren't they a tuber?
    If so, I guess you have to treat time of year-dependent.
    Hope you painted the brush killer instead of spraying.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

Nope, rhizome
    Digger there's GOBS of info on control and eradication on Google. One Ohio state site confirmed that the treatment time depended on what product you used. Some required multiple applications and in every case you need a good sticking agent because the leaves of cattail are waxy.
    Simple dishsoap may not be adequate. get googling

• nandina
    12 years ago

Organic method is to pull by hand. Please do a search for 'Euell Gibbons cattail pollen pancakes'. Some interesting reading and eating to be discovered. Be certain to copy the recipe and cook a batch of his pollen pancakes this spring. Delicious!

• Lynda Waldrep
    12 years ago

And don't forget to make sure the poison you use is OK near water. Most brush killers are not. Don't want to kill the fish and other good things in the boggy area.

And yes, pulling by hand is very therapeutic, if you have the energy. Honeysuckle pulling is my remedy for aggression.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

I don't recommend pulling catbriar down from treetops as remedy for aggression.
    Took me over 3 weeks to get over the whiplash when one stubborn briar tore loose.

Hate the thought of using poisons near wetlands.
    My brother has five kids and growing up at their lake house, pulling marsh grass and reeds was their punishment for misbehaving.

• Lynda Waldrep
    12 years ago

Dottie, your brother must be a great parent! And sorry about the battle with the catbriar.

• basil_davis2
    12 years ago

I like cattails.
    The ones I planted didn't do any good.
    What can I do?

• ncdirtdigger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Basil, come to my house and dig some up! ;)

• plantbug
    12 years ago

Where are you? Would the cattails work in a container?

• tamelask
    12 years ago

I have been growing cattails in a bug tub for more than 5 years now, so yes, they work in a container, plantbug.

• basil_davis2
    12 years ago

ncdirtdigger

Where you live?
    How did you get your cattaills started?

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

basil, we'd love to see more of your pond progress and all the shrubs you planted near it and your woodland walkways.

How about posting some recent photos for us?

And, (if I recall correctly) what were the results of your
    'poison ivy wine' project?

• ncdirtdigger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Basil, I live in the Waxhaw area, south of Charlotte. My cattails came on the winds of nature. If you would like to come dig some, you are welcome to them. Shoot me an email at NCdirtdigger at mac dot com.

http://agrowingcuriousity.blogspot.com/

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

My 9' deep pond was dug in 2001 - maybe 50' squarish widening the year 'round stream. In 2006 Hurricane Alberto dropped so much rain that silt from the forests at the deep springs' head waters along the mile up filled it in to where it is now maybe 6" deep. To redig it would be $5K and special permits from the County land use, watershed, sanctuary, and multitudinous whatevers' governing bodies. So, one bank is covered with native bamboo, jewel weed, and pinxter azaleas to the edge and the other lower side is trying real hard to be a marsh, complete with beavers who have to be dispatched by the USDA every year (because our stream flows into a reservoir). So, cattails have appeared. I don't want to get rid of them but I do want to find out how to use them for food. Kinda like lemons for lemonade though I'd rather limoncello the lemons and find out how to eat the whole cattail like Gibbons said I could. Who can point me in that direction?

Nancy

• dottie_in_charlotte
    11 years ago

Nancy, while you're at it, harvest the jewelweed for poison
    ivy/oak rash relief.

• plantbug
    11 years ago

" Posted by tamelask z8a NC (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 13:20

I have been growing cattails in a bug tub for more than 5 years now, so yes, they work in a container, plantbug."

Thanks tamelask for the info. plantbug

• tamelask
    11 years ago

sure thing. and i meant big tub, not bug tub, LOL!

• basil_davis2
    11 years ago

Dottie,
    I had same problem with my pond that nancedar had.
    A big part of my pond was filled up with sand from big rains.
    Two big trees have fell over the pond.
    I will redo it better latter.
    I have had other things that I need to do that been putting off for years.
    Lot of my time is mowing (my bigger mowers are broken and using a way to small mower). I got to get big mower fixed are be mowing ever day of the growing season. The pond is a mud hole now maybe some cattaills growing in it but don't see how. The cattail I planted never had any tails.

• basil_davis2
    11 years ago

Dottie,
    Some of my walkways got wash away the same time that all the sand filled part ot my pond. Most of the shrubs are doing good.

I had no poison ivy wine project.
    But some what afraid that I will get poison all over my body.

• dolzadell
    11 years ago

We had a large pond in Kansas, a natural pond about 5 acres. We burned the cat tails. It took several years but eventually we got rid of them.

• K
    11 years ago

Nancy,

Here's one article about using all parts of the cattails:

http://www.sacredearth.com/ethnobotany/foraging/cattail.php

I also noticed a youtube clip about it when I did the search using the words "cattail root flour."

Cattails can grow very densely and with no input other than from mother nature. With the right enzymes, you can even ferment them into ethanol. Unfortunately, those enzymes are still fairly expensive, but once the cost comes down, the cattail could be high in demand. And the land used for ethanol from corn could be put back into food.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996