Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottie_in_charlotte

Massive carpenter ant nest

Probably not the right forum but maybe my fellow posters will have a solution.

Problem is, this nest which is circular with a diameter of nearly 5 feet (yeah, HUGE) is about 15' from the house (brick) and then about 20' from the well head.

Don't want any toxics near my well.

You'd think from the size of the nest I'd be covered in ants but I've seen relatively few. Nothing alarming.

Apparently , from what I read, they are nighttime foragers so not noticing many in the daytime is normal.

An ant nest rose in my bed of iris and I poked at it thinking it was fire ants but no activity until I started really digging it up..carpenter ants. Satellite nest.

Any suggestions that don't involve toxics that have worked for you?

Comments (9)

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

Usually just messing with them, disturbing the nest will convince them to move elsewhere. It may take that size of community a while to pack its bags and move on.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do I have to put on a haz-mat suit first?
    I'm allergic to insect stings/bites.

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

Use a long handled shovel and dig things up a bit and then soak with a garden hose - all from a safe distance. You'll have to torture them every day but they will eventually move the hive somewhere else (probably still in your yard but not so close to the house).

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC,

Please see my reply to tlmckay 7b.

jay_in_central z8a SC

P. S. Here's a bit of trivia for you: _Central_ is named _Central_ because it is halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta on the railroad.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, thanks but I think this nest is as well located as possible to be out of my way and obvious enough to be avoidable.
    I think I might put a dark green painted wire fencing (open and decorative and not very noticeable)around it to keep the grandkids from walking on the nest. I have visions of it collapsing under the weight of a human.
    The two smaller satellite nests are of no concern and the house isn't overrun with ants (never seen any indoors).

• nannerbelle
    12 years ago

Word of caution, make sure you keep up your annual termite inspection on your home. They will catch damage and problems with Carpenter ants as well as termites under your house. Having had an Ex FIL who owned an exterminating company, I know they can do some damage to a house. Good luck on convincing them to move along to another area.

• User
    12 years ago

Dottie,
    If I were you, I would call a local exterminator to come take a look at what you seem to not take seriously.
    Carpenter ants eat termites for breakfast.
    They ate the inside out of an apple tree I once had in one summer, and it fell on my neighbors house. No joke.
    Just get their opinion on it because the nest is a good size one. They will understand about your well, they know how to handle that.
    It never hurts to ask.
    It hurts to replace your home wood, or when a tree nearby falls on it. Ouch!

• nanapam02
    12 years ago

I found a very large one near my home and I agree with butterfly4u I am calling an exterminator. Carpenter ants scare me....they can do a lot of damage.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Carpenter ants will not harm a live, healthy tree. They indicate there is something wrong with the tree- there was rot or something they were working on. My dad grew up as a lumber jack and they knew to look for trees that carpenter ants had/were working on; that meant they had punky spots and weren't good for logging.

We have big nests of them in our back yard and have never had issues with them. They don't come in the house (though they did in the house i grew up in, in PA). The ones in our back yard make nests probably close to 4' wide, but they don't seem particularly aggressive, though i wouldn't stand in the middle of one, either. We just work around them and they move around some through the years. Incidentally, though we have fire ants up front where i've not seen the carpenters much or at all, we still don't have the fire ants in back where all the carpenters are. I'll take the carpenters any day of the week.