Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
npgeepin

New to gardening

npgeepin
14 years ago

I am new to gardening and going to try my first garden this year. I have started seedling with the Burpee Seed starting system. My tomatos are are a good 3 inches tall. Should I move them to seperate pots or let them continue in the trays? What about other plants like cabbage, caulifour, onions, and lettuce? I am trying to read what books I can find but there is a lot of information out there.

Thanks,

Steve

Zebulon, NC

Comments (5)

• jardinparadis
    14 years ago

Hi Steve,

What zone are you in? Sounds like you may have to transplant your tomatoes to bigger pots. What did you want to know about the cabbage, etc? I've only been gardening for about 7 years so I'm no expert but we've done pretty well. We're also in NC (western mountains) and I have cabbage (that over-wintered) and broccoli, lettuce, spinach, etc. out in our raised beds.

• npgeepin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was wondering if I needed to transplant all of my seedlings to bigger pots or just leave them in the seedling trays. The tomatoes looked like they grew an inch in one day. They are growing fast.
    Thanks for the replies.
    -Steve

• joydveenc7
    14 years ago

If you can transplant the tomatoes they will do better - you've got some weeks to go before you can set them out. I think you're zone 7B - a little warmer than me. Who knows what the last frost date will be this year when things seem a little out of wack, but most years you can plant the last week of April safely here in 7A. You will need to "harden off" your seedlings to get them used to being outside for about a week before you plant them. I take the pots outside to a semi-shady, protected area in the mornings and bring them in at night for about a week. If you can plant on a day that's overcast that's good too.

I haven't grown your other veggies except for leaf lettuce, and I started that in the ground outside.

• joydveenc7
    14 years ago

If you can transplant the tomatoes they will do better - you've got some weeks to go before you can set them out. I think you're zone 7B - a little warmer than me. Who knows what the last frost date will be this year when things seem a little out of wack, but most years you can plant the last week of April safely here in 7A. You will need to "harden off" your seedlings to get them used to being outside for about a week before you plant them. I take the pots outside to a semi-shady, protected area in the mornings and bring them in at night for about a week. If you can plant on a day that's overcast that's good too.

I haven't grown your other veggies except for leaf lettuce, and I started that in the ground outside.

• computergardener
    14 years ago

Welcome to gardening ----

Yes, transplant your tomatoes to a 4" pot now and start to harden them off by leaving them in the shade outside for a few hours a day until you put them in the grown.

Three other items....

1) Big congrats on starting your own seeds. I think new gardener shy away from growing from seed but I find it is really easy, cheaper and I am able to grow more varieties.

2) Start growing hybrid tomatoes at first because they will give you a good yield and are more disease resistant. But once comfortable, more over to the heirloom tomatoes. They taste great. Try Cherokee Purple and Brandywine for old fashion tomato taste.

3) My tomatoes are in 4" pots now but I will transplant them one more time before I put them in the ground. I have found a strong root system is the key and two transplants really help develop the roots. Also, keeping the plants in pots now ensure you have much warmer soil for the seedling to grow in. I used to rush to put the plants in around by April 15th but I have learned two more weeks in the pot results in much better results. If the soil is not warm enough, the plants just do not grow.

Good Luck....

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio