Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deirdre_2007

Transplanting herbs

deirdre_2007
15 years ago

Hello all,

Let me start off by saying that I know never to plant anything until April 15th, which is the traditional last frost here. Does the same rule apply to transplanting? I have some herbs, Rosemary, Thyme, Sage and Oregano that I've left outside in containers all winter. I've harvested them as needed during the past year. I just spend this glorious day outside, raking and weeding a section of my yard that I've been turning into a garden for the past two years.

I had several trees taken down two months ago, and I had them ground into mulch. I want to spread the mulch down on my beautifully cleared garden and I was wondering if I could transplant my herbs now too. I can of course wait until after April 15th if everyone thinks that's the way to go. Thank you for your help.

Comments (5)

• tamelask
    15 years ago

If they are already outside they are perfectly safe to transplant whenever you want to do it. They'll get a better head start on the season the sooner you do, actually. You've already hardened them off (or never let them get tender if they spent all winter out). Being the ground is actually easier on them than in pots, because the ground insulates.

Most herbs like well drained soil, and like to be fairly high & dry so i wouldn't over mulch them. Also, note that fresh wood will likely leach nitrogen out of the soil the first few months (part of the decomposition process), so it might be beneficial to allow it to mellow first. I'm not positive how long that takes, but would leave it longer than 2 mos. Anyone?

• deirdre_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I'll spread the mulch to keep the weeds from growing back in and let that sit for a while. I'll put the herbs in a different part of the garden and use a different covering. How would they fare with pine straw? Or should I just not mulch them at all? Thank you so much for your quick and informative reply.
    Lastly, what about a hydrangea that is still dormant? Would you transplant that now, or wait until after the last frost? I bought and planted 10 of them two years ago and with the drought I only had about 6 survive. So I have one hydrangea that's all by it's lonesome in the corner, barely noticeable and I want to give a more prominent position.

Thank you!!

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I'm not sure about the hydrangea- i'll pass to someone more knowledgeable.

As for the herbs, if i mulched, i'd do it with a thin- 1/4" layer of regular mulch or some people even use pebbles, voleblock/permatill or pea gravel. The extra warmth of stone helps the herbs and it gives good drainage. If you get some of that horse manure, don't give much to your herbs. they really prefer very lean soil- and you'll get too fast growth with little oil concentration if you feed too much. For leafy herbs like parsley it's fine, though, as is mulch. It's the mediterranean ones that like high & dry & lean.

Spreading the ground wood should work fine- when you start noticing weeds growing you know the nitrogen effect is gone! I think it will age faster spread out like that too. If left in a pile it'll tend to begin to compost in the center.

• marriotthome_q_com
    12 years ago

I live in Portland and want to know if it is possible to transplant a feverfew once it has started blooming

• tamelask
    12 years ago

It should be, but you'll have to baby it a lot more.