Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningharpist17

NC Fruit and Vegetable Book

gardeningharpist17
15 years ago

Hello everyone! I am seventeen, and I absolutely love gardening. However, I would love to have a book that tells me all about certain vegetables: current varieties that grow well in NC, basic care for veggies, and all that kind of stuff. I read a review one gardener gave about the North Carolina Fruit and Vegetable Book. I might order it, but I just wondered if anyone owns it and has some more information on it.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Laura

Comments (6)

• computergardener
    15 years ago

Here is my attitude, everything grows in North Carolina. I have been told certain things do not grow in NC but yet I have easily overwintered Bay and Lemon trees with not too much trouble. The key is to find things which work for your micro climate. In my case, finally moving the bay right up against my house and next to a air conditioning unit got it to over winter.

My best tip, start a garden journal and make 3-4 entries a week. Over the years you will learn on your own what worked and didn't in your garden.

Here is another tip, learn to grow plants from seeds. Your options will be much greater and the money you save will be huge.

Best of Luck and congrats on joining the gardening club...

• gardeningharpist17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks computergardener! Yes, I love growing things from seed. However, I'd still love to have a book about veggie gardening. I am taking a trip soon, and I want something to read! :)

Thank you.

• computergardener
    15 years ago

Here is a great book, I just finished reading. American Tomato: The Complete Guide to Growing and Using Tomatoes. Not NC specific but it was a quick and easy read.

Enjoy your trip...

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Laura- what i always do if i'm looking for a book to buy is go to the library and check out several to look at. Then the ones i like the best i go ahead and buy for my collection. I've not read the one that you referenced so i can't comment. My favorite fruit book(s) are Stella Otto's 'Backyard Berry Gardener' and 'Backyard Orchardist' books. It's wonderful that you are getting into this so young! Finding someone close by to learn directly from is an excellent way to learn and nurture a friendship at the same time. Most gardeners love to share their knowledge and plants with others. It's especially nice to find an elderly friend who may be in sore need of company. It'll enrich your life so much!

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

gardeningharpist17,
    There is a book by Don Hastings called Gardening in the South with Don Hastings..Vegetables and Fruits. I think it's very good. Also, your county's cooperative extension office will be of great help. They will have all kinds of brochures and booklets about vegetables and fruits that will grow right there in your area.

Pam

• gardeningharpist17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips, everyone. We're going to try and check the book out from the library. I'm also going to look at Guide to North Carolina Vegetable Gardening.

Have a good day!

Laura