Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

What kind of bush?

rootdiggernc
17 years ago

I got this prolly 20 plus years ago from my FIL. He always called it a Bridal Wreath Bush but it doesn't look like VanHoutte Spirea at all. Any ideas?

{{gwi:561782}}

This is Vanhoutte to the right of it and it's not even blooming yet.

{{gwi:561783}}

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics of it here

Comments (17)

• Dibbit
    17 years ago

I haven't a clue, but agree that it doesn't look like any Spirea x vanhouttei I have ever seen, as those blooms don't look very cluster-y to me. It is gorgeous though.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I found it.... Spiraea prunifolia. It's a very old bush and it is also known as the Bridal Wreath Spirea (so VanHoutte was maybe named this later?). I have given away scads of this thing all over TN and NC. It is always beautiful, has never had any bug or disease problems. We use to use it as a backdrop for prom pics in April and it was gorgeous. Now I understnad why people would sometimes say, No thanks, already have a Vanhoutte,... and I'd wonder so what does that have to do with it? A mystery solved.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

i'm so glad you posted! someone was asking about popcorn looking bush this time of year, and i thought this had to be it. we have it, and were told it was bridal wreath spirea, but i knew it didn't fit the vanhouteii description. mystery solved!

we have it all up & down through our shady side woods & i love them. they look great with daffs in a vase and dry in the vase, like gypsophilia on a stick. they bloom fairly well, even in the shade, if not as much as root's.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, for beauty and ease of care this one can't be beat. We dug abt a 1/4 of ours up last year to swap (it needed to be brought back into bounds) and then Don mistakenly thought I said to whack it back about 1/2 (instead of 1/3) the same year. It's so forgiving of being butchered, lol...

I also read that this bush is completely out of nursery production, so the only way to get it now is as a passalong.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

wow- didn't know that. maybe i'll root some for the fall swap. it's a great edge of woods plant. background most of the year, but shines in spring. wouldn't surprise me if ours was planted when the house was built in '61.

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Deb - Which spirea did you bring me last year that was so big?
    Dana

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dana, that's the one, the old Bridal Wreath. Has it done ok?

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

It's doing fine. I cut it way back and it hasn't bloomed for me, but it has healthy new growth this spring. I can't wait 'til it looks like yours.
    Dana

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dana, glad to hear it made it. I've never had any problems with transplanting these but ya never know. It won't take long for it to be a nice size and bloom for you. Probably next spring. Is does get wider and wider, but keeps a nice shape.

• shari1332
    17 years ago

Since it's out of nursery production I think you should bring some to every swap until we've spread it around.:)

• jenniesue
    17 years ago

i saw a pot of this for sale at witherspoon roses in durham last week. I was suprised to see it for sale, but it looked just like the one in my yard

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Was it the old one or Vanhouttei. Most places refer to Vanhoutteii as the Bridal Wreath Spirea. My BW has already bloomed VH is just getting ready to bloom.

• flgargoyle
    17 years ago

Forestfarm (dot com)has two pages of spirea, including prunifolia. I used to play under those bushes as a kid, with the tiny petals coming down like snow.

• tietie
    17 years ago

Ooooh Tammy, rooted cuttings in the fall.

• woodsworm
    17 years ago

My central Georgia grandmother (1888-1974) called this a popcorn bush. That's the only name I ever heard. It was indestructable and bloomed heavily. She called something else a bride's wreath -- I guess that van H ya'll refer to, anyway definitely larger white blooms and later in the season, June in fact. The popcorn was way early, like now or before now. Lovely plant you have.

• jyhsmom
    17 years ago

My mother in law gave me a cutting of this bush from her yard and she said she had always called it a "First Breath of Spring" bush. I had a landscaper look at it & he also called it a Bridal Wreath Spirea. You're right, it roots easily & spreads nicely. Mine has been beautiful this year - I think it was in bloom for two months straight - it started when the crocus first came out & the blooms are just now dying.

• Maggie999
    11 years ago

I would like one of these bushes in the worst way. I grew up with one in my yard. I took a cuttinbg and planted it at our place near the river. The original bush does not exist any more and last year the flood got my bush. It is dead and not coming back. I can't find one around here at all. Omaha NE Can anyone help?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting