Thanks

Carol

Comments (11)

• don_licuala
    16 years ago

Aren't they a weed?

• tamelask
    16 years ago

when you say milkweed vines do you mean butterfly weed? or some of the viney kinds of asclepias? there was a thread that discussed asclepias earlier this winter- you may want to run a search. some might be considered weeds, but as they all host monarchs and most have nice flowers, i don't consider them a weed.

i grow a. currasavica, a. tuberosum, a. syriaca, and some others, which are all upright plants. the only one i have that's kind of a vine is tweedia aka oxypetalum.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

There is some sort of rare milkweed vine -- Ais has it in her yard. It's Matelea carolinensis and has small pinwheel maroon flowers.

• dizzy45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is one of the ones I am looking for. It's not really all that rare, just hard to find LOL most people don't even know what they are.. if you can get some seeds that would be great!!. Just so you know there is also another Carolina milkvine called Yellow Carolina Milkweed is the common name and botanical name is Matelea flavidula!! just gorgeous!

I have a few people emailing me but I cannot answer you back as your email is hidden. so if you wanna talk please put your email inside the message please.

To whom ever asked yes Tweedia is a climbing milkweed
    those little blue flowers are so pretty!

Carol

• dizzy45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes the Viney ones are the ones I need.
    Weed in some ones eyes a valueable asset
    to my butterflies LOL

Carol

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

Yes, I have one vine growing wild here. It's not very large or full and I've been scared to move it since it planted itself there. Hopefully the drought didn't get it and it will come back. I've never looked for seeds but I will this year and if it sets any you can have them Carol. -Ais.

• dizzy45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ais,
    Hope it survives and you get seeds and it provides lots of food for your butterflies!

Remember me LOL
    Carol

• dizzy45
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Still searching for seeds of the Climbing Asclepias'
    anybody got any seeds please?

Carol

• cichawoda
    13 years ago

I have a milkweed vine growing in my front yard but I haven'
    t been able to identify it completely.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos and description

• dizzy45
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cichawoda,
    The vine you have is Cruel vine, Blader Vine or Botany name is Araujia sericifera, this is so named because it captures the moths at night and keeps them prisoner until dawn for pollination purposes...
    The pod gave it away. if it has white or pale pink waxy flowers in summer or fall thats what you have. Could I please have a few seeds or pod. wonderful pictures!!

Thanks
    Carol
    Dizzy45vines

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Cichawoda, what zone are you in? I think there's probably several of us who'd be happy to swap or send SASE for seeds. It's a really neat vine and you took nice shots of it!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA