Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Corn Gluten Meal in Columbia,SC?

Posted by kerai z8 SC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 15:39

Hi,

I am at my witt's end trying to weed my flower beds and lawn. I read that Corn Gluten Meal is a pre-emergent herbicide and have been trying to find a place to buy. If any of you know of a place that sells this, will you let me know?

Thank you very much.

Viji

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Corn Gluten Meal in Columbia,SC?

Kerai,
Look up a local Feed store. Just do a search on Animal Feeds in your zip code online.
The feed stores carry Corn gluten meal, if you want to buy it in a 50 lb bag.
If not, try a locally owned nursery, not a big box store.
They will either have it, or know where you can buy it.
I get my Alfalfa at Tractor Supply.
It wouldn't hurt to see if they have it, some horse foods
are made of corn gluten meal and molasses, which is also good for your gardens and lawns.

o

I'm in NC, but will share my experience with finding CGM. I've been using it for about 5 years.

The local nurseries do carry it, but I've found I can order it from a local hardware store (family owned place) for a whole lot less. The same bag would be over $40 at a nursery, under $30 at the hardware store, so it pays to shop around. The hardware store doesn't keep it in stock, but they order it for me. I use Espoma brand, but am pretty sure Safer makes it too (I know I used them when I was new to CGM).

I would love to get it at a local feed store and spend less, but when I first researched CGM, I read the quality isn't the same and it may not have the same effectiveness. You might want to research that yourself, but here's a link that has some info: http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=753 . I realize it's from a company that wants to sell you their product, but I did see similar claims in other articles as well.

o

Thank you both for your inputs. I will try to call around this weekend and buy it. I am excited even to think of the possibility of not having to weed as much (of course, not polluting as well).

Appreciate your help,
Viji

o

Just wondering Kerai if you found a local source for the CGM? I live near Columbia also and have looked for it for about 2 years now. Tks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here