Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Karl Foerster feather reed grass

Posted by GallopingHorse 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 16:11

I'm thinking of planting several Karl Foerster and wondered if any Southern gardeners had any experience with them (positive or negative). I have heard they could be unhappy in heat and humidity. True? False? I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Karl Foerster feather reed grass

I grow it in the mountains and have no problems. I noticed it prefers moist soils and some afternoon shade according to some sites. It flowers very early in the season.
Perhaps it will not do well in times of drought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calamagrostis Karl Foerster

o

I've seen it or something that looks just like it used in campus flower beds around NC State in Raleigh.

o

Thanks to you both. I haven't seen the ones at NC State but I'll keep my eyes open for them. Unfortunately, none of the upright switch grasses have the same look, or I'd use them instead. There's a Korean feather reed grass that is touted as better for heat, but it's not as pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here