Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajwillys

Creeping Raspberry 'Golden Quilt' in triangle?

ajwillys
16 years ago

Hi,

I want to plant a large hillside with Creeping Raspberry "Golden Quilt" and was wondering if anyone knew of a local source for it? By local, I mean within an hour's drive of Raleigh, NC.

Also, since I'm looking for a large amount, I don't really want any boutique nursery's that will charge $$$ for it.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• pfmastin
    16 years ago

This was in an NCSU article online...maybe it will help with your search.

One of their many newest plants to be sold is a superb gold-leaf form of the creeping raspberry, Rubus rolfei 'Golden Quilt' (PP13,436). (Rubus rolfei is most commonly known and listed in nursery catalogs under the now-invalid name of R. calycinoides, and it is sometimes also seen listed as R. pentalobus.) Rubus rolfei (as R. calycinoides) is best known by its popular cultivar, 'Emerald Carpet', which forms a low, dense, evergreen groundcover that bears textured, dark green leaves through the growing season, these leaves blushed with burgundy tones in the cooler months. 'Golden Quilt' is a branch sport from one of the clones commonly seen, and bears striking golden-yellow leaves, especially prominent on the new growth of the season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Friends of the Arboretum

• tamelask
    16 years ago

if it's that new, you probably won't find it cheap. i'd consider checking into mail order sources as well. locally, check with campbell rd nursery- they have new stuff cheaper than the big nurseries, and have a good selection of groundcovers. i'd also call figfloomers (you know, BB) and see if they carry it. best of luck!

• jody
    16 years ago

I love 'Emerald Carpet', but I agree, new plants are usually pricey. However, I'll check around at the wholesale nurseries in this area.

I need an excuse to visit anyway :-)

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

I've seen it at BB in Sanford -- can't remember the price, but when I saw them side by side I found that I liked the plain green form better than the golden.

• ajwillys
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the information. I'll def. follow up on those leads! I'm not too familiar with the nursery scene but I'll give BB a call.
    Jody, are these the 'wholesale only' nurseries you are talking about because I can not buy from them.

Karen, do you think you would like plain better than golden in my situation? I'm planting LOTS of them on a large, steep hill where it will be the main groundcover with other shrubs/trees sprinkled in. I thought that plain green might a little boring in that case, but I don't know.

Thanks again for all the leads!

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

It depends on what look you're going for. Emerald Carpet is plain green, but the leaves have so much texture that the overall appearance is interesting. And you can't beat green for 'going with' everything else you might want to plant out there. I haven't seen Golden Quilt in anything but a pot, so it's hard to know for sure what overall look it would have planted out in volume. In the winter Emerald Carpet takes on red tones -- if GQ does the same it might end up tricolor, so take that into consideration in the overall plan.

If I were you I'd go look at them both at BB, and I'd probably buy just a couple of each and take them home to play with. Something like buying a small sample of paint to try on your living room wall.