Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Prune a Knockout Rose Now?

Posted by roberta_nc Zone 7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 6, 09 at 16:35

Doesn't this springlike weather just make you want to get your hands dirty, as Rebecca Kolls says?

I have a double knockout rose that I'd like to prune to make it more bushy and less gangly. Can I do that now? I'm in Cary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Prune a Knockout Rose Now?

We usually prune when the forsythia is blooming. It is blooming in my area now so I plan to prune my roses soon.

Gail

o

I pruned my knock out and other shrub roses back hard this morning. Seemed like the right thing to do, though mine take pruning well any time of year I (or the deer) get around to it.

Has anyone seen the new yellow KO, '(Rad)sunny'?

o

Haven't seen it with my own eyes, but our girl Adele out at BB was telling me yesterday that it is really pretty. Can't wait to check it out.

o

I've got a yellow one. I bought it in Delaware last summer. I stopped at a nursery on my way back home. I made a beeline for them. They have a slight fragrance, but nothing to get too worked up over.

It starts out really yellow and turns a creamy yellow after a couple days.

o

• Posted by jimtnc 7b Raleigh tttf (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 8:46

How far back do you prune them, and I also heard some usually leave 2-3 canes alone. What's your thinking? I have a regular (can't remember name) yellow rose and a knock-out that have several canes about 2-3' right now.

o

I'm probably not the one to advise on how best to prune roses. My strategy was dictated primarily by the fact that we need to get over them with a ladder to clean the gutters this spring. That said, I cut the knock out back from >5 feet to ~3 feet, all canes included, but the oldest ones that were getting woody got pruned back farther to open up the shrub. I don't think I pruned it anywhere near that hard the first year or two, though.

o

• Posted by jimtnc 7b Raleigh tttf (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 11, 09 at 5:51

I just read you can prune a rose shrub (Tea, etc) when the forsythia is blooming (now) by one-third to one-half down to an outward facing bud. I guess that could go for the knock-outs too.

o

Leaving one or two canes is how you would prune a hybrid tea rose. Knockouts are shrub roses, so do not do that. Take out dead wood and then trim about 1/4 off the top.

Here's a great intro video from Paul Zimmerman of Ashdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xoof42rrLk&feature=related

P.S. yes, mid-March is a good time to prune here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here