Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicia7b

It's POLLEN time!!

alicia7b
16 years ago

I still don't have the ultimate pollen picture -- a huge yellow billowing cloud of pollen blowing off the pines trees.

{{gwi:562559}}

{{gwi:562560}}

{{gwi:562561}}

{{gwi:562562}}

{{gwi:562563}}

Is everything you have covered in pollen?

Comments (36)

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

I was noticing it's all over today too. Nice shot of the horse nostrils! My favorite is the one with a little tongue sticking out.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

ugh! And i'm absolutely miserable. Not sure what i react to that blooms the same time, but it's gotten worse each year.

funny horse pix- but i feel bad for them.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't feel bad for them -- they're just dirty not uncomfortable. Actually horses love being dirty.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Funny- and good to know. My nose feels like your horse's noses look right now! LOL.

• nannerbelle
    16 years ago

Oh yes it's bad here. I have a lot of pine around and on my property too. The cars are yellow, and after a shower, you see it in the puddles. Both of us are fighting the alergies, the pups too. They go into itching fits this time of year. Poor horse, give him a Claritan LOL Those pics are really cute of your horses!! :-)

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

I have noticed it maybe the past week here and there, but this morning the pollen was everywhere. Only downhill from there. If it doesn't rain i will definitely expect to see a whirlwind of pollen blowing down the street.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you nannerbelle. This horse really enjoys attention and hams it up every chance he gets.

• lsst
    16 years ago

My 6 year old loves horses! I can not wait to show her your pics. Thanks for sharing!

• bonnie_il
    16 years ago

Alicia, I was going to ask if your horse was a ham. Love his facial expressions. And yes we have the yellow pollen here. Started the day I washed my car. LOL

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

I think we just caught Alicia using pollen as an excuse to show off her horse ;-)
    As to the pollen, Bonnie just admitted it's all her fault. NEVER EVER wash your car this time of year. It's the kiss of death!!! LOL
    It always amazes me the way there's just a hint of it, then one day WHAM!!! There it is. Hopefully it will rain, but even so the pollen will be around for a while now. My allergies kick in just after the yellow pollen, but they aren't bad. My fall allergies are worse. -Ais.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's true, I guess it could be argued that this post has a somewhat tenuous link to gardening, but it is about pollen, which does come from plants.... My horse happened to be a good vehicle for showcasing pollen, lol. He needs to be a vehicle for something. He's had the last year off due to an injury, poor guy.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually if I'd wanted to really show him off I'd have cleaned him up a little bit, LOL.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In spite of the much-needed rain, pollen is still out force. This spiderweb was made visible by a dusting of pollen.

{{gwi:562564}}

• dellare
    16 years ago

Cool pix Alicia. The culprits are so gorgeous though. Walking around last week I noticed the new cones on one of my long leaf pines that has one very low branch around eye level. I was blown away with how gorgeous they were and that led me to notice the new cones on all the other pines around my property. Its funny I never noticed them or how pretty they were. All of the different kinds of pines with their different colored cones. The long leaf has a particularly lovely very deep purple new cone. I wish I would have taken a picture last week though cause Tuesday I noticed that the cones have started to stretch and some have been eaten by deer. Adele

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Adele that is true, pine trees are beautiful. I'm always surprised at how many people don't like them. I think loblollies in particular have a really striking scultural quality.

• bonnie_il
    16 years ago

Ais,
    I didn't do it!! We just moved here in late December, so I have a lot to learn. I couldn't believe all the yellow pollen. I watched it swirling in the wind. Looked like a mini tornado. And you say its worse in the fall?
    Egads!

• mrsig
    16 years ago

It's been pollen time down here in SC for a couple of weeks now. I hate it because the cool nights make me want to open the windows in the house, but you can't do that unless you want to invite the pollen to come coat everything inside just like the outside.

Been hoping for a good washout for a few weeks now...the rain we got last weekend did nothing more than displace the pollen a little bit.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Relax, Bonnie, there's no gross yellow pollen in the fall. Two weeks or so in spring is plenty, thanks! :) It is kind of sickly fascinating to watch it drift off the trees in the right conditions!
    I think Ais meant her allergies were worse in fall. Turned out it wasn't a new or worse pollen allergy for me but a head cold this past weekend. I was relieved- dealing with a cold once is a whole lot better than escalating allergies each year. Something does set me off about when the yellow pollen finishes on up through the roses blooming. Not sure what- but I'm miserable each year, even with allergy meds.

• mrsig
    16 years ago

I should've posted earlier because we're getting a good solid soaking right now here in Cola-town...

Wash away pollen!

• DYH
    16 years ago

Nice pix! LOL I used to breed Arabian horses and I remember all that yellow pollen up their nostrils. Your horse is really beautiful! Beautiful pastures, too.

Cameron

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Cameron. In addition to this horse, who is half TB and half Hanoverian, I have a half Arabian pony who was very much stamped by her sire. I was familiar with the tail flagging of Arabians but not the head shake, lol. I always wondered if the head shaking (when playing) was just her until I saw a video on another board of a gray Arabian mare in California doing the same thing! This pony got her sire's beautiful trot as well. Luckily she's just big enough for me to ride. Honestly I think she's too hot for a child's mount. She's set to make her dressage debut in a couple weeks' time. It's her first show so I'm not expecting much but you've got to go to that first show sometime.

• mtk40
    16 years ago

Yesterday, I brought in my two guys from their paddock.. first time since moving here that I now appreciate my Palomino's color... couldn't tell how much pollen was on his coat until I started brushing him.. His nostrils were caked with yellow stuff. My young bay Han/Tb had a yellow dusted head and thick yellow pollen in his nostrils... Finally used baby wipes to try to clean out their noses.. Hope the rain washes this away soon!
    Marilyn

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

Yeah, I meant my allergies are worse in the fall. Most people aren't allergic to the yellow pollen (the particles are too big or something) but it's an indication that everything that people are allergic to is about to show up. Maybe it's all the leaves in the fall that make those worse for me.
    I actually king of like the yellow pollen. OK, it's icky and gets EVERYWHERE and you can't even open your windows some days. But it's kind of cool the way it comes and coats everything so thickly. If it weren't for this rain it would be much worse!
    BTW, we just got a new puppy. He's all black and the pollen on him was so funny. All on his nose and coat, like the horses. I thought of posting his picture here (you know, to show off the pollen). But I missed the chance and now the rain has washed it off. Maybe I'll get another chance. -Ais.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nah, wait til he's caked in mud and then post his picture. That's what I'm going to do with my horse. Perhaps I'll put it on a spring pix thread to help illustrate spring mud.

BTW, I have to get my gray (white) horse clean for a show in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to that. Grays tend to get yellowish tails (and no, it's not what you might think). Apparently a lot of horse owners use hair dye to get that beautiful silvery appearance to their horse's mane and tail. I did know of a hair dresser who lightened her horse's mane and tail to a lighter shade but I just thought she was a nut.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Speaking of spring mud I'm surprised that no one has commented on the turtle. Perhaps I should have tried to get more dramatic pictures.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

These are more like showoff pictures:

My horse's dam (that's me riding her)

{{gwi:562565}}

Prince as a baby

{{gwi:562566}}

{{gwi:562568}}

And this pic of my horse as a 3-year-old, which I've already posted.

{{gwi:555965}}

I need to get some good pics of him with the new camera.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Come on Ais, I want to see pictures of the new puppy, pollen or no pollen!! ;)

• nannerbelle
    16 years ago

LOL Ok Alicia, throw me in that nut class. I used to dye my one of my show walking horses I worked. He had 3 white feet and it made him look off time in the ring. So I dyed his three white feet black so his gait would look correct and to escape the optical illusion. I have a portrait of him on the wall in my office, he was one of my favorites, wouldn't come out of his stall without a hug and kiss to work in the evenings. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll scan it and post.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nanerbelle that's funny. My horse has two white socks; DH's stepmother was over here one day and asked if I was going to die them black so that his legs would all match, lol. I told her no. His are on diagonal legs so they look kind of neat when he trots. They look like spats.

At 3 months:

This winter.

{{gwi:562571}}

• DYH
    16 years ago

Half TB and half Hanoverian makes for a great stadium jumper! We stayed on an agritourismo in Italy last year that was a horse farm. The owner had Hanoverians. He went through his jumps on his best horse while we were there. He bought the horse in Germany.

I was mostly into the breeding of Arabian mares. We did some conformation (halter) showing ourselves and with professionals, but rarely rode in shows. My ex still has two of the babies that we bred. They are in their 20's now. Their mom was put under in January at the age of 30. The youngest that we ever lost was at 28 years of age. The others lived to be 32 and that was it. Like 32 years old was the magic number for a natural death. Strange to me.

Cameron

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cameron my horse's dad was imported from Germany in '98. He showed in both show jumping and dressage. My horse's dam was an ex-racehorse that I evented. Eventing has 3 phases: dressage, crosscountry and stadium jumping. She was a fabulous jumper.

• DYH
    16 years ago

Alicia -- your horse photos are just fantastic! What character in those faces! You should blog about your horses.

Cameron

• mtk40
    16 years ago

Alicia
    Try going to Sally Beauty Supply (or equivalent) and get the blue shampoo that they use to whiten grey hair. My barn owner and I also found an awesome (and inexpensive) conditioner (name forgotten but I will check at the barn today) which totally gets the yellow out of my Palomino's mane and tail as well as her Irish sporthorse's entire body! It's the best ever ... will post it later today.

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

OK, no pollen but here he is...
    {{gwi:562573}}
    {{gwi:562574}}
    He's a real sweetheart. No digging yet, but he likes to chew flowers. He'll grow out of that, right?! :-)

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Oh, Ais- he is sooo cute! I don't really care much for dogs but he's melting me. Bet it's hard to scold that face. How big will he get? Your son's a card!

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cameron thank you very much and you're right, I probably should blog about the horses. There's a lot of material there. I'm pretty sure my horse thinks he needs a fan club (if anybody reads the blog, that is).

mtk40, that would be great. You have a palimino ISH? -- pictures please!

Ais your new puppy is very cute. Is he a lab mix? He probably will outgrow chewing on the flowers. Puppies go through those phases when they chew everything in sight. My dog never stopped eating flowers but she's sort of in an annoyance class all by herself. lol. I had beautiful pansies lining my beds in PA (where they can be grown all summer) and if I didn't watch her she'd go down the line and eat all of the best new ones. Must have been the tanginess of the vitamin C.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert