Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
choices for sunny, low foundation?

Posted by profshier SC (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 16:59

I'm looking for suggestions for low-growing, sweet-smelling, hopefully colorful foundation shrubs. My white, 1925 home faces the west. It gets lots of sun, but it's shaded by about 4 pm. The porch is about 2 ft off the ground. I'd really like a fragrant shrub, but lower maintenance and maybe more color than gardenias. (I can't keep gardenias alive -- too much black sooty stuff from aphids, I guess.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: choices for sunny, low foundation?

I can think of fragrant foliage that low, but I'm struggling for shrub ideas for that much sun. Nepeta, lavender, salvia and agastache all have fragrant foliage.

I'll keep thinking about it!

Cameron

o
RE: choices for sunny, low foundation?

I would do a hedge of small evergreens with colorful flowers -perennials and annuals - in front of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here