Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus - container growing?

Posted by rootdiggernc Z-7A NC (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 17:13

Has anyone (in NC) tried growing asparagus in a container? I've put off planting some for far too long, mainly because we may not be in the same place in a few years, but I have a half barrel liner that would be big enough to start a patch and I could take that with me if/when we move. I can't stand frozen or canned but fresh is so yum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus - container growing?

I've only used pots when growing them from seed. They stay tiny for so long it was just easier to keep them in pots and keep them weeded (they hate weeds). I will say that the mature clumps are very easy to dig up and transport, I've moved them many times without losing a one.

o

Say John, does that mean one could dig up a clump and redistribute it to increase yeald?

o

The clumps don't handle being divided all that well. It works best if they are huge and even then all of them don't make it.

o

Thanks John, I think I'm going to try it. It'll take them a few years to get going and growing, maybe by then I can settle them into a permanent home. I'm going to have so much to dig, cut, divide, and move. I get overwhelmed just thinking about it, lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here